Saab 340 stability landing?

stuarth

I'm using v1.51 with XP11.32r1 with the 'Experimental flight model' in XP unchecked.

I have made several flights in the aircraft, and although it flies great, I find that it becomes very unstable at lower speeds on approach and finals. On finals I maintain around 120 knots with flaps 15 - full but the aircraft is very difficult to control once the autopilot is disengaged. I'm sure the real aircraft could not be so difficult.  After 2 heavy landings I then found both times that the left engine had shut down and I was unable to taxi.

Also I find the ailerons far too sensitive too.

Not sure if I'm missing something or whether this unstable behaviour is typical? If anyone has any advice as to how one can tweak this aircraft to improve it's stability it would be most welcome, otherwise I shall have to park the aircraft in the hanger until updates improve it's flight model'.

Edited by stuarth

Hi Stuart, I’m currently using this aircraft to get through my type rating and it is fairly realistic to the actual aircraft. The actual aircraft has a lot of Dutch roll characteristics at low speed and we use yaw damper until about 1000’

Aileron control at low speed is quite unresponsive so I can give you our procedures for approaching and maybe it will help. The engine will cut out with hard landing. 

Try to approach at 135 kts and land at vref (reference speed over the threshold) at no less than 124kts with 20 degrees of flap. Flap 35 will help to stabilise more if that’s still an issue, but at these speeds it should be manageable. 

As the aircraft is so much more realistic than a lot of others, if you need to, try changing the joystick settings on whichever axis is causing problems. 

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michael80082 said:

Hi Stuart, I’m currently using this aircraft to get through my type rating and it is fairly realistic to the actual aircraft. The actual aircraft has a lot of Dutch roll characteristics at low speed and we use yaw damper until about 1000’

Aileron control at low speed is quite unresponsive so I can give you our procedures for approaching and maybe it will help. The engine will cut out with hard landing. 

Try to approach at 135 kts and land at vref (reference speed over the threshold) at no less than 124kts with 20 degrees of flap. Flap 35 will help to stabilise more if that’s still an issue, but at these speeds it should be manageable. 

As the aircraft is so much more realistic than a lot of others, if you need to, try changing the joystick settings on whichever axis is causing problems. 

Hope this helps 

Thanks for your input, Michael!  Best of luck on your type rating!

1000 ft.. I try not to kick it out till around 400ft.. think of row 11 :lol:

Standard Approach..
I normally come in at 240 kts to around 6 or 7nm to run the IAF, drop it in flight idle and let the speed wash. 190 kts take gear down, condition levers max, coming through 170 kts flaps 15 whilst relatively briskly increasing Trq to around 40%, circa 800fpm descent maintaining around 165-170 kts.
Approaching FAF reduce to 30% Trq, as speed comes toward 160 kts, flaps 20 and bump the Trq to 35% to maintain 160 kts.
Around 1000ft AGL reduce to 20% Trq, let speed bleed back to Vref+5 by 50 ft, might need to bump it slightly to stabilise it at Vref, normally 22% works out nicely.
At this point probably back around 600 fpm, nose around 1 degree up, keep it coming to 10ft, then slowly reduce to flight idle whilst bringing the nose up to around 4 degrees, eyes to the end of the runway whilst she touches down, should need no more than 5 nose up or the speed will wash and she drops like a sack of bricks.
Power a shade below ground idle whilst you put the nose down, check both beta lights illuminate then take reverse if required. 

Power settings are a bit screwy at the moment in XP with the changes laminar made, those torque settings kinda work but are more of a rough guide at the moment, think from memory the LES Saab needs an extra 10% or so, except for the 20% coming back to Vref. The Saab is incredibly nimble once you're used to her, just need to make sure she is trimmed. If you're over controlling its probably not trimmed. XP especially when you can't feel any forces, just let go. If those nose drifts off you are fighting against her, wind the trim in if its a pitch thing and let go again, works if your constantly over correcting roll too, eventually it will stay put ;)

Good luck Michael, the LES is a great training aid, majority of it does what the real one does.

Edited by N1K