lanmancz

Hm, unfortunately apart from the fixes the 1.0.4 version seems to have introduced some new bugs and oddities as well. While I didn't get any gizmo crashes in 1.0.3 I've had several in 1.0.4 and also a lot of weird things is happening in this version. Also often I cannot export the debug file - it just says "INVALID EXPORT" for some reason.

- disenaging VNAV still resets my speed to .84

- takeoff link from N1 limit page takes me to climb, not having a route entered causes gizmo crash

- VNAV is still pretty wonky calculating crazy things like steep climbs and descents well over 4000 ft/s. Speeding up, overshooting the target speed then pitching up wildly still sometimes happens. Also in one flight during weekend it calculated for me mach .73 speed while I was still in thick air climbing (I think i was at 12,000 ft or so at the time) resulting in auto throttle trying to overspeed my aircraft to well over 330 kts before I  had to shut it off.

- LNAV departure and arrival procedures can cause many problems with waypoints turning the wrong way and looping but also going back and forward. Also often if you change the arrival procedure mid flight for example (per ATC instructions) it just makes a big mess.

- also the non-FMC controlled autopilot seems to have some quirks. It happened to me today that the IAS speed got stuck at 222 and I could not disengage the mode or change it to other value. Only disabling AT and AP made me regain control of the aircraft.

Some of these things are pretty hard to pinpoint and reproduce but I was flying this aircraft a lot lately and almost none of my flights were quirk-free.

I will try to remember to save the gizmo file before it gets overwritten on next startup (which I often forget unfortunately) but as for why I cannot export the FMC debug I don't know, it worked before and I submitted a few of those already but now it often says "INVALID EXPORT" in the 1.0.4 version.

edit: Out of curiosity I just tested exporting the FMC debug file right after loading the aircraft - C&D switched to turnaround via the preferences menu, hit the dot 4 times => "INVALID EXPORT".

Edited by lanmancz

Hi lanman,

thanks for the rundown on your status with 1.0.4 - it is easy to loose track how everyone is doing in between the updates, so it´s good for us to know what is still not working for you!

Most of your points are on our list - however the "autopilot getting stuck at 222" is something that really grabs my attention and I would like to find out why. Could you tell me what flap setting this happened at?

Thanks, Jan

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Litjan said:

Most of your points are on our list - however the "autopilot getting stuck at 222" is something that really grabs my attention and I would like to find out why. Could you tell me what flap setting this happened at?

I'm not sure exactly but I'd say 15 as this happened to me while I was established on LOC and about to capture GS. My commanded speed before it went mad was probably ~180. Usually when I capture GS I go to 15 and more as I reduce speed for landing. Unfortunately it suddenly jumped to 222, was blinking and could not be changed. The numbers did change but reset back to 222 when I let go of the mouse if I recall correctly. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot it as I had to shut it off real quick or it would overspeed the flaps.

Edited by lanmancz

Thanks for getting back on that - it sounds like an overspeed protection kicking in (blinking 8 symbol) - but this should limit the speed to 195 if you are on flaps 15, not 222... Next time it happens, can you try to dial the speed down to max speed minus 15 (this gets the autothrottle out of reversion mode) and see if this helps? So in this case you´d have to change it down to at least 180.

Thanks, Jan

10 minutes ago, Litjan said:

Thanks for getting back on that - it sounds like an overspeed protection kicking in (blinking 8 symbol) - but this should limit the speed to 195 if you are on flaps 15, not 222... Next time it happens, can you try to dial the speed down to max speed minus 15 (this gets the autothrottle out of reversion mode) and see if this helps? So in this case you´d have to change it down to at least 180.

Thanks, Jan

Yeah, later today I will try to do a few touch and go's and see what's what, then report back. My problem in this instance was the fact that even if it was the overspeed protection it was actually accelerating me, not slowing down and I could not change the value. Also I'm pretty sure I did not command flaps 15 before I was under 195. I actually usually go way too slow on my approaches to give me enough time to go through all the checklists. The only thing that comes to my mind that could have started this is a sudden wind gust as new weather was injected perhaps if I set flaps 15 while not well bellow the 195 limit but just passing 195. Still does not explain why it got stuck at 222 though.

Edited by lanmancz

When the overspeed protection kicks in, it will try to "nail" the speed to just below the maximum speed. So if you have set 150, but are almost busting the speed limit of 195, the speed cursor will "jump" to the new speed - and the autothrottle will work to maintain this new, higher speed. You need to dial the speed down to 15 kts below this to get out of the overspeed protection and regain control...

Jan

50 minutes ago, Litjan said:

When the overspeed protection kicks in, it will try to "nail" the speed to just below the maximum speed. So if you have set 150, but are almost busting the speed limit of 195, the speed cursor will "jump" to the new speed - and the autothrottle will work to maintain this new, higher speed. You need to dial the speed down to 15 kts below this to get out of the overspeed protection and regain control...

Jan

Yeah I tried to dial it down but probably because it jumped well over the limit to 222 it wasn't allowing me to dial it back as 221 and so on is still well over the limit so it reset itself back to the wrong speed, thus being stuck at 222. That's my theory anyway after recalling what happened with your insight. I will try to reproduce it again and collect the logs and make a video.

BTW : Regarding the logs - any idea why I cannot output the FMC debug as mentioned in the first post please ? It always says "INVALID EXPORT". I've been trying this multiple times since I noticed the issue with it but it seems it's not working at all for me in 1.0.4.

Edited by lanmancz

I too have had a few odd MCP things happen after going to 1.0.4.

Most recent today, I climbed out to look a repaint I'm doing.  CMD A selected, airspeed set to 240kts, heading set to 030, and LVL change engaged.  All was going fine, until I selected ALTHLD from the MCP.  The airspeed window changed from 240kts to mach .41, and the auto throttles began a slow power down.

Note that I was mouse flying, but after take off, I used the keyboard to "set" the throttle to the ghost throttles as soon as they appeared, so I don't think mismatched throttles was the cause.

This is impossible to reproduce, as I've flown that profile 10+ times, from the same airport to see my livery in the actual game, and not plane maker, and it's only happened once.

I hate to even bring it up, because I don't want a fluke occurrence to make the dev team chase their tails, and waste valuable coding time.

Up until the recent update, the MCP has worked flawlessly for me.  I never us VNAV, and always use the MCP for level changes, and airspeed control.

Tim

7 hours ago, Tim013 said:

I too have had a few odd MCP things happen after going to 1.0.4.

Most recent today, I climbed out to look a repaint I'm doing.  CMD A selected, airspeed set to 240kts, heading set to 030, and LVL change engaged.  All was going fine, until I selected ALTHLD from the MCP.  The airspeed window changed from 240kts to mach .41, and the auto throttles began a slow power down.

Note that I was mouse flying, but after take off, I used the keyboard to "set" the throttle to the ghost throttles as soon as they appeared, so I don't think mismatched throttles was the cause.

This is impossible to reproduce, as I've flown that profile 10+ times, from the same airport to see my livery in the actual game, and not plane maker, and it's only happened once.

I hate to even bring it up, because I don't want a fluke occurrence to make the dev team chase their tails, and waste valuable coding time.

Up until the recent update, the MCP has worked flawlessly for me.  I never us VNAV, and always use the MCP for level changes, and airspeed control.

Tim

Hi Tim,

every report helps - and it´s always good to know about these things to keep our eyes open for stuff like this. We naturally concentrate on stuff that is reproducable or being reported by many people - these are the easier and more important "bug-targets". But we still like about the odd stuff that happens, so thanks!

Jan