Sparse vs Dense particles

Vantskruv

The default setting for overcast (solid stratiform, also the other setting broken stratiform) is totally ugly, setting particles to sparse makes it much better, but it feels like the overcast now is not as "filled in". Though, setting it to dense gives a clear sky. Why? Does the application calculate that maybe my computer is to slow for this setting, or is this a bug, or something I do not understand?

Running SkymaxxPro 3.1.1 with:

NVidia GTX 780Ti 3.5Gb VRAM and 32GB RAM.

Edited by Vantskruv
Clarification

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

I just saw this post and have the same problem. I wanted to see what the Dense Particles looks like with an overcast sky and It clears my skies or leaves a cloud here and there. Where can I send my log text to if I can recreate this again tonight?

I am trying to find the best looking overcast sky I can. I am using the 980ti with 6gb Nvidia card.

Dave

Edited by bruced39

You're probably in low visibility or something, preventing most of the clouds from appearing. Try setting dense particles, then set up an overcast layer in X-Plane's weather screen, and turn up the visibility. If it still looks wrong, post a screenshot so we understand what you're seeing.

3 hours ago, sundog said:

You're probably in low visibility or something, preventing most of the clouds from appearing. Try setting dense particles, then set up an overcast layer in X-Plane's weather screen, and turn up the visibility. If it still looks wrong, post a screenshot so we understand what you're seeing.

I did as you instructed and the overcast looked just fine. It must be the problem of X Plane reading certain metars then from what I have been reading. I understand your program is just displaying what is ingested. I just hope X Plane can be tweaked for better realism for weather in the future. Then your programs will make the sim very realistic. Thanks for the test idea.

Dave