French Photo scenery

Oliver

So a few weeks ago I was browsing the French XP site and found this : http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/ It features photo scenery for the whole of France at either 15 or 16 zoom, it also includes Switzerland and Belgium! I have personally tried these photo scenes and they are incredible, I've been flying over my houses in France in the 152 and Falco for hours!  8)

• Upvote 1

So a few weeks ago I was browsing the French XP site and found this : http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/ It features photo scenery for the whole of France at either 15 or 16 zoom, it also includes Switzerland and Belgium! I have personally tried these photo scenes and they are incredible, I've been flying over my houses in France in the 152 and Falco for hours!  8)

incredible? I tried the demo at 16 and it was awful, ESP at 2000. big coverage but. hurry up Realscenery and any other projects..

incredible? I tried the demo at 16 and it was awful, ESP at 2000. big coverage but. hurry up Realscenery and any other projects..

Hmm strange, I tried it and was rather amazed

Yesterday I tried some of the spanish scenery also to be found there, and it depends wich tiles you loaded. There is no color correction etc. done to the images, so while some areas really looked good, others were very pale or showed wrong colors. The resolution itself is obviously a compromise between the facts of size and qualitiy. Not bad a at all I would say, if you want to install it all. You can do better with tools like Gmaps though if you take the time and effort and create small areas only.

So I think I'll come back to the site when there is a region I am going to fly often - it might be worth to have a look at their photo scenery.

Yesterday I tried some of the spanish scenery also to be found there, and it depends wich tiles you loaded. There is no color correction etc. done to the images, so while some areas really looked good, others were very pale or showed wrong colors. The resolution itself is obviously a compromise between the facts of size and qualitiy. Not bad a at all I would say, if you want to install it all. You can do better with tools like Gmaps though if you take the time and effort and create small areas only.

So I think I'll come back to the site when there is a region I am going to fly often - it might be worth to have a look at their photo scenery.

Yeah I mean, it's freeware and you download and bam it's there. I love G2XPL as it's useful, but it can be a big pain to set up and use for big sceneries.

please also note that most of the XPFR sceneries (at least the one created since 1 1/2 years) are made to fit exactly these Photo Sceneries, as they've been concieved using them.

Cool! Yeah my internet sucks so bad it takes me over 1.5 hrs to download a single tile, so I'm paying someone with 20MB\a sec to download these for me lol ;D

Actually, meanwhile I installed some of Spain, because I fly there often in FSEconomy (I "own" Leal, Lesb, Lege). I am still not sure if I want to keep it. Some places (like Ibiza) are great, while others are - well, see for yourself:

How does the France, Swiss and Belge Scenery compare? Could someone post some screenshots of those?

For info, the spanish tiles are already pretty old if i'm not mistaking, i even found some on my HD (which i believe are the same versions that are now proposed for download) that do NOT use the texture paging option, which also makes these older tiles very heavy to render.

This being said, it's easy to apply texture paging, and yes, some of the spanish tiles are just as good as the other ones.

Thanks for sharing this. I got some of the tiles to try them out last night (the higher resolution 16 zoom) and did a short flight between Berck-Sur-Mer and Calais on the norhtwest coast of France.

I was not dissapointed, as a result I am now downloading most of France and getting some 1:500,000 VFR charts to cover.  :D

With UK Photographic scenery coming out any time now, this will make for some nice flights between the two countries.