Microsoft starts pushing Windows 10 as a 'recommended' update

HiFlyer

Windows 10 is pretty dull but I no longer get blue screens every two hours (literally). I highly recommend it. It takes time to get used to but frankly it runs smoother than Windows 7. I still am not happy with the cluttered left-hand "quick access" junk they threw in that makes "quick access" a pain the access (if you know what I mean). Other than that, get it. It's a great OS for those who aren't heavy "modders;" that is, people who see the need to hack into their computer and install stuff randomly that is only compatible with their current OS. If you're just a simple user like myself, update now while it's free. Startup speed is a big bonus.

I won't update unless I absolutely need to (i.e. when some future version of software that I can't or won't replace requires Windows 10). My PC is running great and snappy with Windows 7 on SSDs at the moment, and I don't feel the need new funcions or a more modern UI.

To get rid of the annoying W10 update junk that Microsoft is throwing at us, I use the GWX control panel: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

I got pretty conservative when it comes to major OS updates, because most of the time it made things worse (or at least didn't make them better). The only two updates which were really a step forward for me were Win 95 -> XP SP2 and XP -> 7.

On a side note, I just downgraded my 2010 Macbook Pro back from El Capitan to Snow Leopard (yes, that's a downgrade of 5 major versions!), because every major update came with a drop in performance and i don't give a #### about the eye candy.

Edited by mgeiss
  • Upvote 1

Interesting article from Forbes on this subject: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/05/free-windows-10-true-cost/#6be2f836593f

Excerpt.

“There is no such thing as a free lunch” has been the mantra of those cynical about the true cost of ‘free’ Windows 10. But as Microsoft increases pressure on users to upgrade, it turns out the real cost of Windows 10 lies somewhere far less expected…   

Windows 7 and Windows 8. Yes, the operating systems which users already paid for (either directly, or indirectly in the cost of a new computer) are getting more expensive by the day. The cost comes in terms of lost productivity, flexibility and enjoyment as Microsoft does its best to make life for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users so unbearable they give in and upgrade to Windows 10.

Prior to February 2016 the cost was already pretty high. On the irritation side Microsoft introduced upgrade prompts for Windows 7 and Windows 8 which reinstalled themselves if users disabled them. The upgrade prompts then became pop-up windows which were continually reworded to cut down choice until ‘Upgrade now’ or ‘Upgrade tonight’ or just one option – ‘Upgrade now’ – were all that was presented.

Edited by HiFlyer