Cardboard Cutout Trees ?

silverfox

That's just how default trees normally appear in X-Plane. I think its a good idea personally, you shouldn't normally be close enough to trees to need more detail, and the cardboard nature of them makes them much lighter on performance.

Indeed, this would be Laminar's reasoning and logic for this!

The official term for this is "billboard" trees and its widely used in computer graphics ... of course, with more development resources invested in trees, its - especially with todays hardware - its definitely possible to make more "advanced" graphics engines (and there do exist quite a lot out there) which have a adaptive LOD for their trees. Where you can see a detailed 3D model when close up, which is then reduced the farther you go away (down to billboards) .... Laminar does have some ideas to progress in that direction ... but they do also have a pile of other ideas but only a limited number of developers .... So, in the end I wouldn't cross my fingers that we get improved tree rendering any times soon. Especially as the current technique is working acceptably and looks quite OK most of the time .... and there are far more important things needing developer resources ;) . By the way ... add to this the many many artist hours needed to create the appropriate 3D trees (and the appropriate LOD levels ... to make LOD transitions smooth)!

Edited by alpilotx
  • Upvote 1