Cloud color in bad weather conditions.

frontendrob

Hi there. First of all thank you for transforming the skies of X-Plane! I am happy to be able to almost max out SM2.0 with my system and results are great - especially having moving cumulus clouds (everybody should try that adding a 150kts wind layer right on the height of the clouds!) - they even look way better compared to non-moving cumulus. Add the shadows - boom!

However, I have two little issues. Under bad weather (using X-Plane's start screen presets), the clouds remain white for me. So the sky and the fog will be grey, but the clouds are shiny white as always. I can't test right now to confirm if it has to do with the angle of the sun (or post a screen) - but the way I had it, it's kind of ruining the bad weather experience. Default X-Plane clouds would turn even darker than the grey sky - here the illusion of bad weather is intact. Is this a missing feature (fair enough) of SM 2.0 (rain clouds), or am I seeing a bug here?

My other issue is the unreliability of the God Rays. I turn them on, wow, but after a while they would be gone. So the checkbox remains checked, but but's pure luck if I get God Rays or not. They turn on and off as they wish - making me turn them off to get a more consistent and predictable experience. This is a bug I guess? Any hope for a fix?

God rays will only appear in specific situations - you need to be looking at the sun through an opening in a thick cloud layer. It's not random, but just like in real life, they don't appear often.

Darkening clouds viewed from the bottom in bad weather is on my radar for a future update. X-Plane doesn't really give us the information needed to do this properly, but there may be reasonable ways to infer when to apply this effect using other data.

God rays will only appear in specific situations - you need to be looking at the sun through an opening in a thick cloud layer. It's not random, but just like in real life, they don't appear often.

I get what you are saying, however it happens to me from one second to another, without changing perspective or circumstances. And it's been like that on 2 systems (Mac and PC) and with 1.3 and 2.0 ...