Computer Issue

Oliver

Hi everyone,

As of a few days ago, my main work and X-Plane computer is out of commission. I purchased the computer online a couple years ago and it has now what I believe a dead GPU. I thought I'd come here to see what you guys thought as this issue has really screwed my workflow and I can't use X-Plane for my training either. 

So the issue first occurred 3 days ago, I was watching a video on YouTube when the screen became an off white.. I thought that this was just an occasional crash and decided to restart the computer directly from the power button as the computer itself wasn't responding. I let the computer cool down for a few hours and restarted it an hour later, it booted up fine and worked as usual. After working for a few hours, the computer decided to split the monitor in half such as windows 7 would do, expect this was unintentional. I rebooted the computer and the issue persisted. I thought I'd give the computer a night of rest to see if it would work the following day, the following day after rebooting the computer, the password screen had black horizontal lines across the entire screen and after entering my password the computer crashed.

I've tried booting the computer in safe mode and it worked fine. There is also an integrated graphics chipset in the computer so I believe that that was the one working when it was booted in safe mode. I've updated all the drivers and it hasn't fixed it. I've also opened the computer to clean the card from dust and debris. I'd appreciate greatly any advice! I've listed the specs below. 

Specs: 

HP Pavilion HPE H8-1050 

Mobo: IPISB-CH2
Processor: I7 2600 3.4GHZ
RAM: 10GB DDR3

GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 with 1GB Vram
PSUL 460W

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

If the system has onboard graphics, try removing the 6850 and connecting your monitor to the onboard port.

If it doesn't and you suspect the 6850 is the issue, try booting an OS like LinuxMint from a USB drive and see if it runs fine. If it does, you may just need to reinstall Windows.

If you still have issues it may very well be your 6850, my old GTX460 gave out after 4 years of heavy use.

-NR

If the system has onboard graphics, try removing the 6850 and connecting your monitor to the onboard port.

If it doesn't and you suspect the 6850 is the issue, try booting an OS like LinuxMint from a USB drive and see if it runs fine. If it does, you may just need to reinstall Windows.

If you still have issues it may very well be your 6850, my old GTX460 gave out after 4 years of heavy use.

-NR

I'll be trying that tonight and I'll post back the results. Thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated!

Olivier

• Upvote 1