10.25 Beta 1 is online

FloB

Mine took 5 mn.

I found it this morning by accident. Was cleaning up files and folders and saw the X-Plane installer. Gave it try to see if there were any updates and bingo.

Finished scanning my folder and said it a 1gb update ready to install. Clicked it and it was done before I knew it.

Yeah but you're a lucky one Jim it's well known ;-)

Cheers

Hi, guys!

I saw that the new x-plane 10.25 beta 1 is released. I don't know if I should download it or not since I'm using x-plane strictly for flying? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Just make a copy of your entire current X-Plane install ... call it something slightly different and make that your beta testing install.

The neither the OS or X-Plane care how many concurrent copies you have on your PC. You may need to pay a wee bit more attention to remember which one you're flying, but the installer will identify your different installs and treat them as separate installs.

Just follow Kris's excellent advice! :)

And the next time you run the X-Plane 10 Install application (in your X-Plane 10 folder) it will figure out you have two (or more) X-Plane installations on your computer and prompt you which one you want to "update" or to add/remove scenery from.

If you don't have much HDD space free to copy the whole of your existing X-Plane installation folder, just do a "Mini install" into a seperate folder say you call it "X-Plane BETA" and just install the bare "Demo" scenery around KSEA area (from the DVD), then just run the install/update app on that folder to bring it to XP10.25B1. You can then use that as your test bed, and you can copy your fav aircraft/scenery/addon into that installation (one at a time) and try it out without the risk of hurting your main X-Plane 10.22 installation which you keep strictly for "Flying" :D

I just create speperate "shortcuts" on my desktop so I can easily start the version I want "64 bit XP 10.22" and "64 bit XP BETA" sort of thing, along with a shortcut to each of the seperate X-Plane folders.

cessna729.

Edited by cessna729

I have not downloaded the beta yet. If I already have an airport, will their global airport replace mine that I presently have?

If you have already an airport that is now also included in X-Plane, you maybe will have doubled buildings.

This is the case if your airport lacks correct exclusion zones for "objects" and "facades". You can open your airport in Overlay Editor or WED and add these exclusion by yourself. Save and everything is fine.

Edited by Mario Donick

What if my airport is better then their global airport (like one I purchased), can I eliminate their airport?

Really, the best way is to add an exclusion zone. It's done very easily. Or you write the developer of your addon and ask him to add an exclusion zone. (This would be even better, because developers are requested to do this. Ben Supnik already pointed out this in April 2013).

HOWEVER, you can disable the whole "Global Airports" folder by adding SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/Global Airports/ to your scenery_packs.ini OR you can simply remove the "Global Airports" folder from "Custom Scenery". (But in the 2nd case, you would need to this again after an X-Plane update).

What if my airport is better then their global airport (like one I purchased), can I eliminate their airport?

X-Plane prioritizes which airport it will load.  It looks for custom scenery first, default scenery last.  If you do not have a specific custom airport already installed X-Plane will load its default one.  If you already have an airport in your custom scenery X-Plane will load that one instead of the default one.  If you (for whatever reason) have two of the same airport in your custom scenery X-Plane will load the first one it comes to (top to bottom on the list).  

So, if you already have custom scenery installed X-Plane will not override it -- even with the new "lego brick" airports in the latest update.   If you prefer your custom scenery just leave it in place.  No worries.

However, what Mario is referring to is that some of the new autogen textures and objects may appear on your custom airport (not the new default, lego-brick airport objects).  That is unlikely because most custom airports have exclusion zones in place, but in some cases it may happen.  If it does, and it is a major problem for you, then you can do as Mario advises.

Edited by Tsetsoh

So, if you already have custom scenery installed X-Plane will not override it -- even with the new "lego brick" airports in the latest update.   If you prefer your custom scenery just leave it in place.  No worries.

However, what Mario is referring to is that some of the new autogen textures and objects may appear on your custom airport (not the new default, lego-brick airport objects).  That is unlikely because most custom airports have exclusion zones in place, but in some cases it may happen.  If it does, and it is a major problem for you, then you can do as Mario advises.

Sorry, but this is not the case with the new Global Airports folder. It also has nothing to do with autogen textures.

The Global Airports folder is not like the usual default scenery. The global airports folder is sitting inside "Custom Scenery" and thus treated exactly like custom scenery, and if you have, for example, installed a custom airport for Sparta, Michigan, X-Plane will show both its own Sparta (included in Global airports) and the one you installed. As Sparta has no exclusion zones for facades and objects, you will have doubled buildings, unless you add the exclusions on your own.

Unfortunately this is not an exception, because in contrast to what you say, most custom airports DO NOT have the required exclusion zones. This is even true for payware scenery, for example for some Aerosoft scenery. At the .org, there is thread where quite a few people are complaining about messed up airports in 10.25, and freeware scenery developers answer that they did not include exclusion zones because its too much work. (Because exclusions are only rectangles, and thus you may need lots of single exclusions if you do not simple draw an exclusion around the whole airport.)

Mario,

Thank you for the clarification.  I stand corrected, if that is true...

I had not investigated the new version sufficiently (still haven't).  I was going by discussions I had read some time ago -- I apparently came away with the impression that it would behave as it had in the past.

What I saw was in Ben Supnik's blog where he was discussing the new airport structure.  A question was asked "Do custom airports take priority over Global airports?" and Ben's reply was "They should if your custom scenery folder is prioritized properly. If you start with 10.22 this will happen automagically. If you have an older install you might want to edit the .ini file."  So it certainly seemed as if there would be no conflict regarding the new lego-brick airport objects.  Autogen is different.

Edited by Tsetsoh

Regarding priority, this is right.

The problem is that even higher-priority scenery still allows to display objects and facades of lower-priority scenery at the same time, when the higher priority scenery does not explicitly exclude objects and facades. This has always been the case, and now can get confusing.

So it is really important that all scenery developers add those exclusions.