Mac users beware of 10.6.3 update

garrettm30

Given that the new update was supposed to include improved compatibility with OpenGL, I was curious to see if there were any performance increase. I did some searching for tests comparing the update with the previous version. I found this page that shows there is actually a regression in performance: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mac_osx_1063&num=1

In some cases the performance variation was significant. There was also a weird situation where under some circumstances, resolution at 1980x1200 performed a good bit better than 800x600, but still below what 10.6.2 did. They also tested X-Plane performance. I have linked their graph image in this post below:

3.png

We might want to take this with a grain of salt, as they say. The test machine was MacMini with the integrated Nvidia GeForce 9400, admittedly not a machine for modern 3D gaming. Different systems might respond differently. You might just want to be aware of it before proceeding with the update.

Do any of you have any feedback about the relative performance of the new update to the previous version?

Thy run graphics tests on a Mac Mini? Can't be serious. Still have to try xplane with 10.6.3. myself, but here is some info by Ben:

http://xplanescenery.blogspot.com/2010/03/os-x-1063-performance.html

I just stumbled on that article and was about to post the link. It's always good to hear from the fellow who should know.

I thought the same thing about the Mac Mini test! Still, it should give better results than the previous model Macbooks with the Intel integrated graphics chip that some folks are using.

To Ben who may have read this topic, thanks for shedding some light on this issue. I would still be curious to see 10.6.2 vs. 10.6.3 comparisons, but as that is in the realm of curiosity, it is not really worth losing time over.

24'' iMac; with RC1 and 10.6.3 I am definately experiencing a slight increase in FPS. Even a big increase when no buildings/scenery is in sight. Around 45 fps compared to 35 fps before in those situations. Flying in scenery dense locations still gives an overall smoother experience.