10.4 Tiger - 10.5 Leopard?

Kaphias

Well, I've been holding back on upgrading to Leopard due to my hate for it's interface... but after using it a bit, I'm feeling like I may be ready to move up. My question is, (and I know it's been a while for many of you) how was X-plane affected when you switched? Did the framerate drop or rise?

Computer specs:

1st/2nd gen MacBook

2 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor

2 GB RAM

Intel GMA 950, 64 MB VRAM

Old and slow, but it works. I'm just worried that upgrading to Leopard may push my framerates from 25-30 to under 20.

Early thanks to all...

I had a slight improvement in x-plane performance when I upgraded to leopard. To me the new features in leopard were worth the upgrade. If you haven't bought leopard consider waiting untill snow leopard comes out before upgrading OS.

Second gen 15" MBP

2 ghz intel core duo

2 gb of ram

ATI X1600 128mb

I had a slight improvement in x-plane performance when I upgraded to leopard. To me the new features in leopard were worth the upgrade. If you haven't bought leopard consider waiting untill snow leopard comes out before upgrading OS.

Second gen 15" MBP

2 ghz intel core duo

2 gb of ram

ATI X1600 128mb

Too late, I already bought it...  :) oh well. Thanks very much for your feedback.

Still welcoming other's reports as well.  :P

Snow leopard is already out, and is a free upgrade! It's marked 10.5.6 on the update list. Leopard is well worth the price. I don't understand hy you would hate leopard's user interface?  ??? I think it's one of the best available! I don't use leopard for X-Plane though, the last ATI Drivers were from 2005, and I get WAAAY better performance with new drivers on Vista.

I'm pretty sure it will run on 32 bit processors, it just says on their site that it will "extend 64 bit capabilities" nothing about dropping 32 bit. If they dropped 32 bit support, they would lose about 85% of their sales! :-\

Core2 Duo's have some 64bit support, I'm not sure exactly how much but I was reading some stuff about it on the Intel site a while back...

It'd be interesting to see if you can run XP/Vista/Linux 64 of a C2D...

I've had in my hands a Core 2 Duo equipped pc and worked flawlessly with Vista 64 and Linux 64. Tis processor is an x86-64 capable of running 32 bit 16 bit and 64bit software.

"The last processors Intel manufactured which did not use AMD's x86-64 design were early versions of the Pentium 4 "Prescott", introduced in February 2004." (source Wikipedia). Said that i presume that any Mac Intel should be more than capable to run 64bit software without a problem, i know that my Mac Pro can, and it has Xeon processors that are x86-64, like Core 2 Duo.

For what it concerns Snow Leopard, it is the first Apple OS that has a 64Bit kernel, with compatibility mode for 32bit applications, if I'm correct here it shouldn't be able to run on old 32bit only processors (but it's a no problem if, as i presume, any Intel Mac has x86-64 processor).

Alessandro

Just to stave of any confusion, those of us with a CoreDuo mac will be unable to take advantage of a 64-bit capable OS, as the core duo is simply a re-branded pentium M. Yet, as mentioned earlier, anyone with the Core2Duo line of macs will have the capability of running in 64-bit so long as the OS will support that mode. In summary, as far as I know, any mac built after the Core2Duo introduction (to include the xeon mac pros) will be able to run in 64 bit.

Just FYI...This is interesting...

"Intel Core Solo (product code 80538) uses the same two-core die as the Core Duo, but features only one active core. This allows Intel to sell dies that have a manufacturing defect in one but not both of the cores"

Now, just to stave off any more confusion, those of you with core solo processors should not think you can re-activate this second core. It's there, but the connection is physically severed. Talk about shady business. It sounds to me like intel is selling V-8 engines with 4 bad cylinders...so they make it a four-banger.