Fly Tampa Montreal for X plane

SwissCyul

Hello once again.

I am thinking of buying the FlyTampa Montreal Scenery and converting it to X Plane.

Does anyone has experience with converting one of FlyTampa's scenery?

It costs 22 dollars and i don't want to waste that money. I have some experience

with FSX2XPlane and i know how to convert a file. But i can't work with WED because it always crashes.

So i don't want to do much extra work with the scenery. 

I hope you have answers to this question and if not thats not a problem. 

Thanks for helping!

And a video of the converted scenery:

Like with most MSFS sceneries a straight conversion always leaves a sour taste in the mouth. The lighting is usually awful based exclusively on LIT textures on the ground and objects to create the illusion of the missing lights. In most occasions the buildings and tarmac (to make them visible at night) seem to glow in the dark with a cartoonish appearance. And the ground textures either disappear from sight at at short distance or they simply look like sh@t. Other common problems I have found is that the specular characteristics of the objects are off, meaning reflexions and the way they cast (or not) shadows. Not to mention the difference in elevation used in the different sims when there is slope on the ground, this makes buildings sink on the ground or float in the air. 

Some if not most of this issues can be corrected but require a considerable amount of time and dedication. And If you are converting a copyrighted scenery all the work can not be shared. I am sure the more experienced X-Plane scenery gurus that frequent this forum can extend the list, but one thing is for sure: each case deserves its unique approach. It is not a matter if it is from the same vendor or not. The only way to find out is to give it a try. 

Alright. Thank you for your long reply.

I don't really know if i should buy it.

I can't work with World Editor because it always crashes and i don't have experience with it.

But i could give it a try. It's only 20 Bucks so it won't be such of a loss. I talked to one of Flytampa's makers and

he said that many people convert their scenery and they are having only minor problems. 

I definitely won't share the scenery so that is not a problem. 

Thanks again for your long reply and your effort.

I will inform you once i got the scenery converted  :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. I converted it and now there are several X's over the airport. I don't know how to remove them with WED. And how do you add more concrete to the airport? There are several gates standing in the middle of the grass. 

The X's are probably missing textures for draped polygons .pol (missing orthophotos, ground textures, etc) sometimes the texture is there but the pol needs to be placed again. Is hard to tell without seeing what the problem is. I sometimes use Overlay Editor to identify the trouble elements. And to add concrete there are several ways... the easiest is to add a taxiway with the taxiway tool.

As I mention before, almost never the conversion is a one click deal, but if you spend some time correcting imperfections you can make it work really nice.

Can someone please post a detailed instruction manual on conversions... I found some websites that have tons of airports never done for X-Plane.

You can't have one Manual for every scenery conversion in X Plane. Just write us the scenery you want to convert and then the problems you are having.

Are you working with FSX2XPlane?

Ok. So you download the scenery from an FSX page. You go to FSX2XPLANE and you convert it. You have to watch out what settings you have. For Example which X Plane version or your directory file and stuff. It should work like this. Do you have the right python script installed? 

You have to have a FSX or a FS9 fake folder for your fsx scenery. You just create that with renaming any document to FSX.exe/ FS9.exe. 

And be sure that you have the right X Plane folder selected. And don't check the box with [only extract objects].

I hope it will work now.

If not just write me or someone else in this post  :)