When you can't find the texture you need.

skiflyzander

Hello Everyone, 

My development has come to a screeching halt. The reason for this is a lack of good looking textures. I have looked everywhere on google and bing for decent looking textures, but I just can't find anything to replicate the actual buildings. I even tried to paint my own, forget that, they looked awful. I guess my question is: What do most of you fellow scenery developers do to get textures when you can't find what you're looking for on CG textures or the web? I'll give you an idea of the texture I'm trying to find: 

post-8098-0-30654200-1367097324_thumb.pn

Also this one: 

post-8098-0-62076300-1367097873_thumb.pn

Any advice, tip or idea would be great :) 

Happy Saturday! 

If CG textures has a texture that isn't the right color, I just change it in Photoshop, sometimes I make my own (they look ok, see example).  And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I get someone to take pictures of the buildings I need textures for  :P

And remember:  Sometimes a texture looks better in-sim than it does in PS ;)

post-5285-0-64917900-1367098894_thumb.pn

Edited by Sethesus

If CG textures has a texture that isn't the right color, I just change it in Photoshop, sometimes I make my own (they look ok, see example).  And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I get someone to take pictures of the buildings I need textures for  :P

And remember:  Sometimes a texture looks better in-sim than it does in PS ;)

That's some good advice, thanks :) I'm just struggling with creating my own textures, I can't figure out how to make the repeating rectangle texture like you made, That's almost exactly what I need!  

You're welcome!

You can use it if you want.  All I did was lots of copy-pasting in PS :)  Once you get the basics of PS, its all downhill from there. 

Good luck with your project!

Seth

Edit:  Also, the tower siding looks pretty simple.  Try playing around with the gradient tool.  That might help you with what you're doing.

Edited by Sethesus