Mac pro & XP10 performance drop

esvanes

I have noticed lately that my Mac pro is noticable slower than it used to when using XP10. Have no exact number, but would guess a drop in framerate of aprox. 10 in general.

Also I've noticed that the CPU fans are very quiet. (They have always been quiet using other software like Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere). But when using XP 9.x and 10 the fans have normaly increased rpm considerable. But not so lately. Just idle even when trying to max out XP10. It's like the CPU's dont "bother" woring to much.

(The fans are working. They idle at 500rpm and i can change the speed by using a fan control software).

After I noticed this "slower performance" I changed the display card from gtx 285 to HD 5870, but NO change in framerate. I also changed from HD 5870 to GTX 670 and still NO change in framerate. That I find very amazing!

Doing some tests with different settings gave me most drop in framerate with scatterd clouds.

With like 20% clouds and scatterd in 4000ft and good VFR visibility i will get about 17 in framerate at KSEA, when normaly that would be about 25.

I can increase clouds to 150% and only loose 1 in framerate. (Weird?). 

Volumetric fog will give a drop of 5 in framerate. More or less all other settings i can max out or set to minimum without much change in framerate.

There is not much difference between XP10 32 and 64.

This is probably a Mac support forum question, but since the performance drop is related to XP, I try here first.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Erlend

Did they not say that people would have to adjust rendering setting after recent updates because they had changed from before? I've found that I've had to reduce the world view distance recently with all the new autogen. Also I don't think that the bigger video card will effect framerate, only allow you to load more and bigger textures. There shouldn't be a difference in frame rate between 32 and 64 bit as laminar have explained on numerous occassions.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy

Edited by andydckent

Hello Erlend

My mac book pro would do something like that I could run the sim for up to 20 min then it would get really hot then my FRs would drop! All the posts that I read anout this issue concluded that macbooks were not the best for running xplane they are just to cramped and cant dissapate heat fast enough. Especially if you live in a warm climate . There were some cases were people fryed the logic board .it just got so hot! I gave up and got an imac to run explane ! It is running much better on that..

Hello Erlend My mac book pro would do something like that I could run the sim for up to 20 min then it would get really hot then my FRs would drop! All the posts that I read anout this issue concluded that macbooks were not the best for running xplane they are just to cramped and cant dissapate heat fast enough. Especially if you live in a warm climate . There were some cases were people fryed the logic board .it just got so hot! I gave up and got an imac to run explane ! It is running much better on that..

He is talking about a Mac Pro, not a Macbook Pro, that is the papa of all macs. 

He is talking about a Mac Pro, not a Macbook Pro, that is the papa of all macs. 

Just to put tings in correct order: :)

Its a 2008 Mac Pro with:

Dual Intel Xenon processors 2,8 Ghz, quad core

8 Gb RAM

Asus GTX 670 with 2GB VRAM  (also Tried GTX 680 with 4GB, but that card dit not work at all in the Mac).

And the temerature inside the Mac is constantly 31 deg. C when running XP or not, but if i set up the fan speed with fan control software, the temperature drops to 27 deg. C

Note: The performance drop happened before i changed card, and I do not live in a hot place on this earth, and I have updated to the latest Nvidia drivers.

^_^ e

Edited by esvanes

Did the GTX680 4Gb not work in your Mac because of a driver issue? I had my eye on that for my Mac.

Did not help with Nvidia drivers. Result with GTX 680 was black screen and reboot every 40 second. Running OS 10.8.2

Maybe next OS release will support this card, but I'm not sure if it is the chipset og the 4GB memory that is the problem.

e

I found a little tool called Menu Meters really good to keep an eye on the CPU workload. It sits on the menu bar up top. Prefer it to Activity Meter. Have found it good to check the load of each core.

http://www.ragingmenace.com

Regards

Thanks. I'll try with that, and check the CPU load. But if I’m not wrong, there will not bee much CPU load. 

e