Building a (MacGyvered) 3D Cockpit

Colin S

Alright so I finally figured out how to turn my massive MIDI controller (with about a billion sliders on board and hundreds of buttons) into a virtual joystick and it works a charm. Now I want some of the best applications to run my cockpit, alongside my piano, a messed up older joystick used as a collective and nosewheel tiller, and a broken X52.

So, I remember way back when (like four years ago) I still made frequent use of V9 on my old PC, I had some applications installed on a crappy old ThinkPad that has since gone to better places. These applications were thinks like network indicators (air speed, altitude, attitude (good or bad, or downright grumpy), artificial horizons) and ever an "ECAM" if I got the name right (the thing that shows you what is on your radar, incl/TCAS). Now I have two crappy old computers (Single core, so I can't just run X-Plane on a parallel system like I would want to) and a crap load of flatsreen monitors at my disposal - but none of my old programs. I want to set up a cockpit that puts my MBP (the powerhouse) as the main display, probably plugged into a massive TV we also have (I am very frugal), and the two computers as the avionics.

Any suggestions on the best applications AND: if I use this

1d801ce319e50b28bd93b5e23db189c3.jpg

(Netgear 16 Port Switch, which I had under my bed), will I be able to transfer the data to the old computers which don't have wireless (we don't have Ethernet in my house any more.)

Also, the old computers are PCs (WinXP), so even if I do find v10 compatible instrument programs, will they be able to get data from a Mac (could be a stupid question, but who knows. It's my first time trying this out).

Anyways, any links to XP10 and Windows XP compatible applications and how to use them (Most of them never would work for me) will be greatly appreciated. Once it's built, if it ends up built, I'll be sure to post pictures and video.

Cheers!

I Don't Know of any programs that you can use to simulate the avionics but chances are if you sell both of the old laptops you could build an x-plane 10 capable system running Linux off of the money you get from selling them. you will have to build the computer yourself though, but judging by the fact that you had a 16 port switch just laying under your bed (not in use i assume) I'm pretty sure you know how to or can figure it out. Also yes you can network x-plane across multiple operating systems (in fact i once networked x-plane across multiple networks).

Also Chris XHS actually is not enough said since a Google search out of curiosity turned up nothing but a high school. could you include a link as to whatever XHS is?

Edited by mj12345
  • Upvote 1

I Don't Know of any programs that you can use to simulate the avionics but chances are if you sell both of the old laptops you could build an x-plane 10 capable system running Linux off of the money you get from selling them. you will have to build the computer yourself though, but judging by the fact that you had a 16 port switch just laying under your bed (not in use i assume) I'm pretty sure you know how to or can figure it out. Also yes you can network x-plane across multiple operating systems (in fact i once networked x-plane across multiple networks).

Also Chris XHS actually is not enough said since a Google search out of curiosity turned up nothing but a high school. could you include a link as to whatever XHS is?

Alright... it's XHSI and if I were you I'd head over to that website and download a copy NOW it's amazing.

But I'm also looking for other systems, ASIs, HSIs, Altitude Indicators, etc.

...XHS actually is not enough said since a Google search out of curiosity turned up nothing but a high school. could you include a link as to whatever XHS is?

Google search XHSI and you would have come up with this link right at the top:

http://xhsi.sourceforge.net

Edited by steven winslow
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe you guys have never heard of it.

This is probably one of the singlemost useful utilities for x-plane. Mark Rogers has done us all a great service with his utility.

Edit: hah. There's even a pic of my multi monitor setup on the thread Steve posted.

Edited by chris k

post-5973-0-89340200-1360525671_thumb.jp  post-5973-0-84080400-1360525762_thumb.jp

MacMini w/XHSI2

24" 1920x1200 Monitor

MacPro w/GTX670 on the main system

23" 1920x1080 IPS Monitor (an absolutely beaut monitor)

MacBookPro (not shown) running Qutescoop v2

(Real-time VATSIM aircraft/controller 3D globe display)

Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle, Seinheisser headset, A4 Sectional Charts

____________________________________________________________________________________

The only way to fly!

Edited by chris k

attachicon.gifck-xhsi.jpg  attachicon.gifck-xhsi2.jpg

MacMini w/XHSI2

24" 1920x1200 Monitor

MacPro w/GTX670 on the main system

23" 1920x1080 IPS Monitor (an absolutely beaut monitor)

MacBookPro (not shown) running Qutescoop v2

(Real-time VATSIM aircraft/controller 3D globe display)

Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle, Seinheisser headset, A4 Sectional Charts

____________________________________________________________________________________

The only way to fly!

1) Connection solved.

2) How do you make it full screen like that? Mine are all in a bajillion (<-exaggeration) windows.

3) I'm jealous, whatever you did.

EDIT: AND a really freaking stupid question, probably, but would it be possible to hook up XP10 to XP8 or XP9 via ethernet just for net data? Like so I could create a full X-Plane panel layout in X-Plane 9 which I can actually RUN on these piece of crap machines?

EDIT 2: How do you make XHSI2 run at more than 10FPS? It's great, I got it to work, but landing with XSHI is kind of tough when it says your nose is up when you're actually down.

Edited by Colin S

First off can you explain more about how you are trying to get xhsi2 to hook up to x-plane but one common error would be not letting xhsi2 thru the firewall on your computer also as far as making them full screen like that i have no idea how he did that and as far as the last question is concerned you can't as of now

2) How do you make it full screen like that?

First of all, when all else fails, RTFM.   ;)    Actually, you should ALWAYS read the manual before you start posting questions that are easily answered in the documentation:    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/xhsi/index.php?title=Main_Page#User.27s_manual

Each instrument window is resizable.  Just click and drag on the lower right corner of each window and size it however you want.  But as I said, read the manual and you just might learn all kinds of nifty things about this amazing plugin/app.   :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

You can also just try playing with all the settings. there's only like 10 things you can do in the preferences.... S'What I did - took about 10 seconds to figure out how to do no window borders; lock them into position, etc.

- CK.

I've messed with things... can't seem to get much beyond this, but since my plan is to create a wooden or metal template to fit over the screens to give it more of the feel of a real cockpit, it shouldn't matter. A bit of an update on the cockpit:

My friend Jake S is a real world pilot, hoping to get his commercial license next September. He has agreed to help me build the cockpit, and we will be selecting what plane to model specifically shortly. We've ruled out jets, since they're way to freaking complicated, and I don't have enough buttons (or money) to do that, but I have received something wonderful:

FIVE NEW COMPUTERS

Yeah, my dad is redoing his "outdated" 4-year-old office equipment (but leaves my mum with an 8 year old machine running WinXP. Three of these machines are dual core, meaning they will be able to run X-Plane 10. My intentions are now to have all the instrument displays running through slave copies of X-Plane with a load of custom cockpits. I need some input though:

I need a plane that has the following specs:

At least 1500NM range, but 2100NM would be amazing (I doubt there are ANY dual engine props that can do this)

Cruising >140kn

Presurized

Dual-Engine Turbo

An example with a semi or full glass cockpit is visible online for reference when building the cockpit, but if only a non-glass cockpit is available, cool also :D

Anyways, this is going to be quite a project. And yes, PHNL is still rolling along, I put the finishing touches on RWY08R-26L today, and completed the adjacent taxiways. I'm still experimenting with which lines look the best.

FIVE NEW COMPUTERS

Wait....what?  So this is from the dad who said "You're wasting so much of your time. I can't believe it" and you complained he wasn't supportive of your X-Plane habit? Guess good ol' dad is coming through with some gear.  Hmmmmmm........

Ah, yes.....I remember being a teenager........

Wait....what?  So this is from the dad who said "You're wasting so much of your time. I can't believe it" and you complained he wasn't supportive of your X-Plane habit? Guess good ol' dad is coming through with some gear.  Hmmmmmm........

Ah, yes.....I remember being a teenager........

Oh, my dad loves X-Plane, he just thinks that my time spent for the online community creating addons is a waste of time. If he was using X-Plane hed probably VFR without any visuals. 

Hes also not giving me them for X-Plane, he's just giving me the computers. So dont take me down for being a teenager. I want to keep this thread nice, not for personal attacks. Its about a cockpit, not my dad :)

Cheers! Also, does anyone know of a good quality, but very affordable projector for a possible projection?

So dont take me down for being a teenager. I want to keep this thread nice, not for personal attacks. Its about a cockpit, not my dad :)

Dude, wasn't meant to be an attack at all!  I wan't "taking you down" for being a teenager.  I was just like you when I was your age.  Only appreciated my dad when he did or said what I wanted him to.

Good luck with the cockpit.  XHSI rocks.  You might take a look at AirTrack, too, if you want to use iPods or iPads for your instruments.

As for projectors, you can find them from around $200 up.  Just remember you get what you pay for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=2116&N=4294546233&srtclk=sort

I recommend Epson projectors.  I have one I bought 8 years ago for $2800 and have only replaced the $350 lamp once.  We use it to project our images for sales.  But it is high resolution and way overkill for what you want.  I think the Epsons start around $399.

Edited by steven winslow
  • Upvote 1