X-Plane | ScreenNots

Wetted Area

Win7/64bit w/DirectX 10
X-Plane 10 Global v11.10
Starting in Full-Screen Mode
--------------------------------------

ScreenShots Not Working

Hello All:

Neither the X-Plane default key assignment, nor the keyboard's PrintScreen key will capture an X-Plane full screen image.  When using either SHIFT + Space Bar, or the keyboard's PrintScreen, a blank black screen is sent to the memory buffer, but no image of the actual X-Plane full screen.  Reassignment of keys has no effect as well. Regardless of the key, or key combination used, nothing more than a blank black screen is ever captured.

Normal Win 7 screen capture works in all other installed applications outside of X-Plane without fail.

Any ideas on what's causig this and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Edited by Wetted Area

Hi there,

I believe it's to do with the X-Plane display being shown in OpenGL - that "overlay" cannot be captured by "normal" screen capture methods.

I've used FRAPS in the past couple of weeks to do just this (and full video captures too!) and it does a sterling job. I ended up paying for the registered version to give full functionality - but for a couple of screenies (depending on what you're using it for) the free version will do a great job. Capture to bmp and then use "mspaint" to save back it to png for decent compression without loss of quality. (The registered version allows a choice of file types direct from the app)

www.fraps.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers

James

Edited by JimboG

A further thought on this, I *believe* the might be a "take screenshot" option from inside the X-Plane menu system...

Left-hand-side as I recall. I'll look later when I go for a flight, but have a look there in the meantime if you get there first.

Cheers

James

Edited by JimboG

Thanks, James.  I've seen people discussing FRAP before but never knew what it was exactly or why they though it was necessary.

Cheers.

<Shift> + <Space> Within X-Plane, saves the .jpg file in the X-Plane main directory at the whatever resolution you are running the sim.

No kidding.  There they are:

Desktop > Flight Sim Evaluatioin > Fligh Sim Files > X-Plane

X-Plane 10 Desktop Manual: Saving and Sharing Your Flight (section)

Capturing a Screenshot

The final method of saving or sharing your flight is to take a simple screenshot. This can be done either by pressing Shift + Spacebar, or by moving your mouse to the top of the screen, clicking the File menu, and clicking Take Screenshot. The captured image (a .png picture file) will appear in your top-level X-Plane directory, located by default on your Desktop.

I should rename the thread from ScreenNots to MyStudyNot.  My bad for wasting forum time.  I should have looked more closely at the manual.

No worries at all. You're still looking around, I get that.

My first week of X-Plane, having been "loyal" to FSX/P3D for years was full of:

"Doh! How do I do this *simple* thing when it should be right in front of... Oh there it is, OK then."

Still finding my way around a little, but the learning curve does start to drop off with some time and patience. Sufficed to say, I have more fun/time *doing* things in XP than previously. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be in "one camp" or another until the end of time, I like to keep an open mind - but at present the "switch" I made to XP has got a firm hold.

Good luck with the rest of your evaluation.

Cheers

James

• Upvote 1