The time has come

meshboy

Do you feel like me? X-plane has really passed fsx with a big margin.

I used fsx sometimes but now i dont want to touch it.

With the new 64-bit and shadows, landclass etc ready in x-plane.

Also jrollons 32 and fly j sim 727 is the best graphics in any addon. this is not possible to fsx and its polygon limit.

I just want to say congratulations to all developers and laminar , you did it!

Fsx har one ace up and its sleeve, the ngx systems,not the graphics.

But when ixeg drops the bomb, it will be over! Hehe

Edited by meshboy
  • Upvote 2

I agree with some caveats: although the add-ons are starting to approach the quality of the very best FSX stuff (note quite as nice as the very best but still excellent), what does it for me is the 10.20 autogen which makes default FSX look very "2006". I just grabbed myself a GTX680 with 4GB Vram and XP10 looks very sweet with maxed-out objects. Cities are starting to look like cities I don't even need HDR which causes crashes for me anyway.

Most looking forward to the A320 Neo although as mentioned, the IXEG 737 does look promising indeed. Oh and the x737 with 3D cockpit should be excellent too.  :D

Dave

I agree with some caveats: although the add-ons are starting to approach the quality of the very best FSX stuff (note quite as nice as the very best but still excellent), what does it for me is the 10.20 autogen which makes default FSX look very "2006". I just grabbed myself a GTX680 with 4GB Vram and XP10 looks very sweet with maxed-out objects. Cities are starting to look like cities I don't even need HDR which causes crashes for me anyway.

Most looking forward to the A320 Neo although as mentioned, the IXEG 737 does look promising indeed. Oh and the x737 with 3D cockpit should be excellent too.  :D

Dave

I am thinking of a GTX680 myself. i think x-plane will run very good with that card.

I used to use FSX. I liked it, until I stumbled across X-plane 10. There is really nothing default FSX has against X-plane. The long argument has always been that FSX has better add ons like PMDG, but finally X-plane add on developers have closed the gap. I have now been using X-plane for about a year. :)

Edited by i<3xplane10

Meshboy, both simulators offer many things which the other doesn't...  there are addons out there for FSX that surpass anything done in XP to date, but this is because it has the attention of developers that have literally hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on making addons, you can't expect that same level of detail and accuracy from developers with a budget in the low thousands.

The biggest thing that keeps me from completely switching to XP is the weather modelling (when will we see a program like OpusFSX for X-Plane?  Long overdue!) - no extended terrain textures (never fun flying high altitude and seeing the horrid green or blue blob on the horizon in XP, XP is great for flying under 20,000 feet though!) and the extremely primitive base airport scenery.  When compared to FSX, these 3 things have kept me and many other dual users I've talked to on the FSX side of the fence for a while longer.

However, one thing that keeps me coming back are the great addons coming out like those that JRollon, FlyJSim, Carenado (they're milking the FS cow, with products for all 3 major simulators, go Carenado!!), DDenn and Twinpropflyer make.  On another forum I visit I have often said that I would buy X-Plane just for these addons... but to say X-Plane has completely passed FSX is a bit far fetched to me, someone who has thoroughly enjoyed both product lines in some way or another since the 90s.  But I believe that it will definitely surpass FSX in the future, it's our only real hope right now for a civilian flight simulator, and that pretty much guarantees it.

Hi Joseph,

Terrain is improving (e.g. http://www.alpilotx.net/2012/03/13/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-released-experimental/) and airports are also being made to supply the demand look at Chris K's stuff for example. I probably should add that I don't often fly above 20,000 ft either.

Of course personal preference will play a major part of an individuals decision. I find the default scenery for FSX just awful and the feeling of 'canned flight' equally unpalatable (especially the helicopters).

I have REX Essentials for P3D and agree that a comprehensive weather generator is definitely something that I miss, and hopefully the companies who produce them will begin building for X-Plane in the future.

In the meantime I choose not to give the market any false assumptions by choosing not to spend any more money on products that are based on and support FSX in any guise or form. I'm effectively on a boycott campaign of FSX merchandise :)

Better a quick merciful separation and moving on to the new, than lingering around trying to revive a decomposing corpse.

Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 1

I agree with some caveats: although the add-ons are starting to approach the quality of the very best FSX stuff (note quite as nice as the very best but still excellent)

Couldn't agree more.

From a perspective of someone who's been using MSFS for the past 15 years or so and then flying only the very top 3rd party planes (RFP 747-200, PMDG 747-MD11-NGX etc.) i find X-Plane still lacking in that department. We're heading in a good direction with the likes of CRJ, 777 or Jetstream, but as a hardcore airliner sim aficionado i can't really tell i'm fully satisfied with current X-Plane offerings.

I had uninstalled FSX about half a year ago and fly X-Plane exclusively. I had enough of extra tweaks and hacks that often introduced stability problems. Even worse was the fact that nothing will change over the time as core FSX code development has ended long time ago.

I'm really torn apart now.

To be honest, i don't fly X-Plane half as much as i used to fly FSX. No online flights too.

I'm tempted to reinstall FSX everytime i see NGX screenshots. Or just today when i saw screenshots and feature list of the newly released Aerosoft Airbus X Extended. On the other hand X-Plane feels more convincing to me with it's fundamentals, continous developement etc.

From what i've seen so far it looks like IXEG 737 might be the very first aircraft that will cure my frustration :)

CSLs? Hundreds?

I have fond memories my newbie night on IVAO: about ten Sea King helis were floating in mid air around me. 

The next time I connected with better setting and software. Now the other aircraft were sliding by on their bellies... 

You definitely know that X-Plane 10 got critical mass, when IVAO software actually works and you see other rides then your pre-set Sea Kings.

About a year ago I bought XP10 and did not dare to make a flight on IVAO, because XP10 always crashed on me or made other thing impossible. XP 9 still works like a charm. Why change until XP10 actually get 64bit golden?

Until then, have a look at this 

or that 
I know, eye-candy. Kai Tak with loads of buildings. Do we really want that in XP, too?

Do you feel like me? X-plane has really passed fsx with a big margin.

I used fsx sometimes but now i dont want to touch it.

With the new 64-bit and shadows, landclass etc ready in x-plane.

Also jrollons 32 and fly j sim 727 is the best graphics in any addon. this is not possible to fsx and its polygon limit.

I just want to say congratulations to all developers and laminar , you did it!

Fsx har one ace up and its sleeve, the ngx systems,not the graphics.

But when ixeg drops the bomb, it will be over! Hehe

I am not sure if that's a praise or down to ground condemnation ...? I guess, maybe worded a bit differently it will make more sense:

X-Plane surpassed FSX (almost 7 year old rendering engine/sim) now?

lk

Edited by zoltron_rulez

I used to use FSX. I liked it, until I stumbled across X-plane 10. There is really nothing default FSX has against X-plane. The long argument has always been that FSX has better add ons like PMDG, but finally X-plane add on developers have closed the gap. I have now been using X-plane for about a year. :)

exceptions ... default FSX has airport buildings, very large number of cities with good landmark buildings, and traffic appropriate for airport size.