Programming VRInsight MCP Combo Panel with keyboard commands

JimboG

Hi there,

I am not 100% sure if this question has been answered by Philipp with regards to the publishing of the datarefs for the CRJ-200 but I am wondering about the best technique to enhance my VRInsight MCP Combo with additional (keyboard commands) so that I can have the best experience?

I am new to XP, having only about 4 days at it so far and I'm loving it for the most part! (converting from MFS)

So I have installed the latest SerialFP from VRInsight and this is working well, I can get the plugin to "connect" in XP10 - and I can get some of the knobs to work such as CRS, Speed, HDG and VS etc.

But I'd like to get other functions programmed such as the radio tuning and MCP range, that sort of thing. I can see where to create keyboard commands using the SerialFP program, but I have no idea how to get to the actual keyboard commands for the CRJ.

I've read Philipp's post about the datarefs and I've downloaded the file, but please can someone explain the steps "in between" - is it simply a case of installing one of the two plugins he mentions, importing the CRJ datarefs file "somehow" and then being able to create a keyboard command from there, which I then use SerialFP to assign to a button/knob/switch - a bit like FSUIPC in FS land?

Or...... Is this totally wrong and I should use a different technique entirely?

Thanks very much for the advice.

Kind regards,

James Gillies

Edited by JimboG

That depends on how the SerialFP program from VRInsight works:

-If they work on X-Plane Datarefs, you can simply use all the datarefs available in the file and map a dataref to a switch or rotary on the panel. However, their plugin needs to support "deferred initialization", because the CRJ datarefs are of course not available on X-Plane load time, but only when the CRJ itself is loaded.

-If they work on X-Plane Commands, you have to use either xjoymap or Button2Dataref to create a "fake" button that toggles one of the datarefs and then have SerialFP command this "fake" button.

Edited by philipp

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

It looks like the binaries to xjoymap are no longer on the server for download, so I might try out the Button2Dataref utility.

I've also looked at the SerialFP software, it *seems* that you can only apply keyboard strokes to buttons.... The was "nothing" that I could see with regards to "deferred initialisation" - but I haven't been to the VRInsight forums yet to discuss.

So in short, are you saying that using Button2Dataref you can import your CRJ-200 datarefs file, somehow create a keyboard command to fire it, which I will then map in SerialFP?

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

James