Sukhoi Superjet, the Ultimate in X-plane aviation

Michael_Chang

So I recently bought the Sukhoi superjet, and I must say i was FLABBERGASTED when I opened up the plane. I'm about to list all of the pros and cons of this magnificent plane

Exterior:

Pros: I absolutely love the texture job, the fine detailing he has put into each of the default liveries is a thing of beauty. Every meticulously modeled part is both low on the polygon side, yet high on the detail side. The plane also has an extremely accurate exterior (not perfect, but close) to the real plane, from most of the angles that I looked at it. I absolutely love how i can run this plane in x-plane without so much as a dent to my frame rates, the exterior handles beautifully and many of the animations are crisp and clean.

Cons: now, although the exterior does feature some incredible detail, there are certain parts of the aircraft that seem to be missing or incorrect. First thing, the flap canoes of the Sukhoi are sharp edged, like the a330, ramzzess made them more or less rounded, at the ends.Tied in with the flap canoes is the actual animation sequence of the flaps. Ramzzess fails to realize that the flaps have to move back and then rotate down, they instead rotate solely by the joint of the flap canoe. Also on the wings, the Speedbrakes. The real SSJ has speedbrakes that are in a continuous line, similar to the a380 or 757. With ramzzess's speedbrakes, there is a gap between the inboard and outboard breaks, similar to the 767 or 777. The plane's flaps also have some issues, mainly that the flaps actually feature flap canoe covers that jut out about five inches above each of the flap canoes. Furthermore, the slat animation sequence appears to be wrong, as the slats don't seem to extend very far during deployment and finally, the default texture has some weird effects going on. The wing looks more like a boeing 707's wing, and on the underside, you can clearly see four pylon marks instead of two.

Interior, cockpit, systems

Pros:

WOW! I've never seen such an interior! the actual cabin of the plane is bright and happy looking, unlike the dingy, dark and dirty-appearing cabins of people like Jrollon. I love how it has a welcoming feel to it, the graphic art and textures are all incredibly crisp and clear. I'm particularly fond of ramzzess's idea to include several busty female passengers seated at various points in the aircraft, although they do appear to be rather square in the chest region.

The cockpit of the sukhoi is a gem. Period. The reflection effects are absolutely masterful, I adore the clean, crisp patterns of the flight instruments, and the textures are simply sublime. I'm also a true fan of how he has programmed the plane, and really wish he would share some of his secrets ;) the menus, systems and FBW of the plane are some of the best in x-plane, in my view, and allow the plane to be complex, yet simple, if that makes sense.

The systems and flight model are great in all aspects too. I love how smooth the FBW makes the plane during flight, and how easy it is to handle issues and emergencies with the help of the computer. It adds a wonderful depth to the x-plane systems.

Cons: The biggest hit I took with the interior, cockpit and systems is how much lagging it causes on my system. Being stuck on a shitty macbook computer, the SSJ is the maximum i can handle without dipping below 20 frames. the cockpit is beautifully done, however i do believe it could have been done with less polygons so as to save frame rates. The same goes for the interior, perhaps if he had thought about reducing and simplifying the walls, and using textures to express detail rather than polygons, it would improve the rendering, and perhaps add some better shape to the passengers ;)

Conclusions:

All in All, I give this plane an 8.5 out of 10, a few errors, but over all an amazing jet. I strongly recommend that you go out and buy it, because if you're not too picky about details, then it'll be a great plane for you to fly.

just two photos i found out of the ordinary

Screen%20shot%202012-09-04%20at%2010.06.51%20AM.png?size=1024x768Screen%20shot%202012-09-04%20at%2010.04.39%20AM.png?size=1024x768

Also, here in this video, you can see the small flap canoe coverings, speedbrakes and the difference between the x-plane and real-life sukhoi animation sequences.

EDIT:

hmmm, as it turns out, i've figured out why the plane has those extra engine mounts... these wing textures are of the captain sim 707.. not an SSJ. i had a feelign something was wrong after i looked at the video of teh plane landing.

Edited by Michael_Chang

• 3 weeks later...

I'm particularly fond of ramzzess's idea to include several busty female passengers seated at various points in the aircraft,

the cockpit is beautifully done, however i do believe it could have been done with less polygons so as to save frame rates.

There's part of the problem right there. The passengers don't look good and are completely superfluous, i.e. a waste of polygons.

Also, the utterly apparent line where he connects the cockpit to the cabin on the exterior model really bothers me. It doesn't ruin anything about the flying experience of course, it just looks terrible.

• Upvote 1