Quits Unexpectedly. Please Help.

wylie233

Hello Everyone!

Over the last day, my X-Plane (latest version), loads fine to EGLL (Heathrow). Then when I go to EGCC (manchester), after

1 min of loading it quits. Sometimes it does get me to manchester, but still, its not long before it quits again.

A am getting quite worried!

Things i have tried:

RESTARTING the computer.

Taking out some plugins.

Deleting the log.txt.

..........no use.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

• Upvote 1

Delete all of your preferences, or take them out and put them back in one by one until you figure out which one is the culprit.

The only way the log.txt or crash log will be useful is if you have a crash and then save it and post the log, because if you restart X-Plane it wipes out the log and starts again.

yes, you can have 1TB of memory, but X-Plane is still a 32-bit process and can only use 4 GB, even less on some systems. Please read and check if you are affected: http://developer.x-p...map-for-memory/

If so, you need to turn down your rendering settings until you stay within limits.

Or wait for X-Plane going 64-bit.

Edited by woweezowee

my only suggestion is to open a system monitor in order to see what is going on. Then adjust. Or fly anywhere else. I need to do that, too, XP10 eats a lot of memory and as you have read on the link I provided we are a bit unlucky with our Macs: The limit is not even 4GB, but 3.5GB. I'm mostly flying islands with version 10. When there is a lot of water around, the memory usage is much lower.

Agreed. Lower your texture settings a notch.

I frequently run out of task RAM (3.5G or so) when using some very detailed/hi-res ortho sceneries.

Also, enable texture compression if it's not already enabled. Most sceneeries these days are .DDS compressed anyhow, so you wont be losing much detail. A good article can be found here regarding enabling compression vs. Uncompressed: http://developer.x-plane.com/2012/01/dds-revisited-in-x-plane-10/

- CK.

Just flown around & landed at EGCC a few times but did not find any particular fps issues with the airport or locality on my machine. The suggestions already given are sound but I would like to suggest another that has saved me a lot of tears and heartache

I have always liked to have more than one installation of X-Plane on my computer at the same time. (For my own reasons I actually have three but two's fine) One I use as I assume we all do and another I keep pretty much as a Virgin install which I use to try/test new stuff out on knowing nothing else can conflict. If you have the space you should give it a try. Just download and install the latest version & beta--and leave it clean--ensure both installs are always of the identical release/beta.

I have been able to resolve many issues this way including a bad fps issue similar to yours recently. When a problem such as yours arose, by opening & simply copying the plane across temporarily to the clinical install & flying it in 'Mirrored' settings/locality, it instantly proved it was not a computer issue--nor an issue with the plane or locality but as it turned out a seperate conflict which I soon sorted by illimination (And many others using this technique) By later returning the install to it's clean state (& keeping the two updated) it's always the ready detective.

Edited by edwin
  • Upvote 1