YSSY Sydney Airport Photo Scenery

chris k

Beta 0.8:

July 20, 2012

737_128HDR.jpg

- New tiles from Ropeless (11-3, 10-3)

- 4 more hi-res tiles shrunk/cut/optimized. Another, oh lets say.. 3.5 Mb of VRAM. =)

- Re-did the YSSY tower in LIT textures, shaded it, and added some beacon lighting. Looks great at night now.!

- Adjusted the LOD on many field clutter objects, so they show up either earlier or later.

- i.e white bollards down to 1.5km instead of 2.5k, white gables from 2.5k to 5.0k etc. This helps FPS/frame rates when further away from the ILS towers.

Please let me know of any FPS issues when looking in certain direction (post screenshot & rendering settings), any too-detailed objects, VRAM limits, etc. (This is for you Ola) =)

I have cut down pretty much everything I can think of/can do for now to optimize VRAM; short of sacrificing high-detail in areas that you *will* notice. =)

Only a few tiles left to go! We're on track for release soon.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Naturally, All the ortho imagery is completely new =).... Oct 2011 was when the Imagery was taken.

Basically, as it stands right now, I have asked Mikx for permission to redistribute the 2 terminals and the tower ...

I removed the old Sydney scenery for yours. But what about the skyscrapers of the town? You might be able to use them? Have you ever heard back from Mikx?

Nope. Never heard back.

S'Okay - It's a staged approach. Once the Airport is done, I can then turn my attention to the CBD/Downtown Buildings. Those should be able to be dome with 100% existing facades, since I walk by all of them every day.

Heh, I was bugging the wife one day saying "See that building? I have a facade that looks exactly like that.... and see that one? I can totally model that with the built in lib/US/urban_high objects..."

She just looked at me strangely... =)

- CK.

YSSY Airport Beta 0.85

Build July 21, 2012

737_225.jpg

737_215.jpg

737_132.jpg

- Grass. Lots of it on runway/taxiway edges.

- This is what I wanted to do for NZCH originally, instead of forest, but lacked the insight to do it.

- Finished Billboard 3

- Finished Billboard 1 (DRAFT)

- Finished Yellow Edging DOM terminal

- Notice the Grass? 3 types of Grass facades.

- More Centrelines/Taxiway/markings

- Yellow Edges and Yellow Bars/"Do not Drive Here Markings" Complete on 34L

- Hrmmm, Did you notice the grass?

- Couple extra vehicles midfield to add to clutter.

- Did you notice that I'm growing my own grass? (chrisk style - facade instead of forest). =)

- Fixing more lighting, adding spots where needed. HDR is looking fantastic now.

Note: the Grass's AlphaChannel is still buggy... need to clean it up some more on the longer grass (stuff that is set back off the runway in the fields...) however, The close/dark stuff is finished.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

.... aaaaaaaaaaaand.....

......it's released into he paddock and over the steeples! http://forums.x-plan...&showfile=16986

My personal gratitude to each and every one of you who helped on this project. Let's let the reviews come in, and ensure we have a winner here. I'll be watching the responses for the next day in case something crops up at the last minute.

Everybody breathe. In, out, In, out.

- CK.

Author's Notes:

This Scenery took 5 Months of planning, editing, assembling, and a complete Team of like-minded dedicated people.

I was very fortunate to have met and worked with an awesome and talented group of individuals on this project.

My hats off to Ropeless, who was by far the most dedicated individual and "photoshopping-machine" on this project. =)

Without his tireless work and encouragement, this project would have never gotten off the ground.

This scenery is dedicated to the entire X-Plane Community. You know who you are =)

Edited by chris k
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the call out, Chris.

I've always thought that the only difference between free and paid scenery should be the price and maybe development time. I also believe, that orthos can be great - but developers need to take time and care to work them in cleanly. I didn't have the tenacity to take on YSSY, despite the desire. I'm glad that I could contribute under your inspiring leadership.

YSSY has been an amazing example of pulling together many resouces to weave an accurate, imersive model. I hope this project continues to mature, and if I can help then call on me. I'm very pleased to work with you.

Kind regards,

Barry

• Upvote 1