Any pre-made grass .for forests?

chris k

Well, now since you guys reckon it's useful, I'd be happy to forward mine, and there's nothing stopping anyone from sending Aussi their own versions. Many devs will still need to adjust the hues and brightness to match the grass to the ground colour, but that's pretty easy in photoshop. I'm really pleased its being used!

• 3 years later...

Yeah - this was just me playing around.

I'm gong to go back to the "edge of taxiways/runways" only. I've also lowered the height on the edges considerably (0.3-0.5m now instead of 0.8-1.2m) which is much more realistic. I'm going back to just trying to give a "slight impression" of edge grass now.

Anyways - This was me trying to get a feel for the 'fill densities', and how it would affect FPS. Note the FPS in the screenshots.., it went from normally 45-50 fps to 11 to 19 FPS depending on distance/fill/density/etc... so yeah, large fields of the stuff are simply not attainable with good rendering speed, no matter how nice they look =)

- CK.

Hi CK.

What about your project. Still alive? Looks very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the Portoroz scenery (LJPZ, Available to download in file library) we created a frailly good looking grass forest in combination with edge LIN and ground surface in POL format that got a lot of compliments. We did grass patches instead of individual blades, still has significant performance hit, and to look good the forest setting need to be set very high. Doing volumetric grass in FOR format is doable, but not very efficient. It would be nice if in future releases some sort of fur rendering could be included for grass. which would be a more efficient and better looking solution.

Edit. Another problem with the for format is that "trees"spill ut of the traced area, and need to be very carefully placed behind the desired limit. otherwise small patches appear where is not desired and can ruin the effect

post-8327-0-99942000-1430483935_thumb.pn

Edited by scubajuan_new