NZCH Christchurch Airport Photo Scenery

chris k

Wellington should be pretty easy. Charlie's done some of the Obj work.

I can easily slip the orthos underneath. - Already checked - LINZ has some beaut orthos available for it.

Also wanted to tackle YSSY, but others may already be working on this.

Rangioira has been done by RoyalOak, but I dont have any orthos for that one, so.... Same for West Melton.

I did notice that West Melton has a paved runway now, not just grass; so that'll need to be fixed up.

I *could* re-tackle Auckland. I dont think Robins scenery for it has been updated since V7.

I do have his original orthos (and have taken apart his scenery a bit to see how it was constructed).. I may be able to fix that one for XP10 as well.

Dunedin I could do.

Dunno - Suggestions? Check LINZ first (or http://koordinates.com) to see if there's scenery/orthos available 1st tho.

- CK.

James - Im aware of that (mikk's) YSSY scenery. However:

1. The taxiways are very very far off from reality. I overlayed a real ortho underneath them and it was very off. (Anecdotally as well from VATSIM - the controllers tell me im in the weeds half the time)

2. No taxi/rwy signage anywhere.

3. Runway TDZs, REIL and PAPI locations are incorrect on 34L/34R. He has a VASI instead of 2 x PAPI's on either side of the RWY. ILSs do not line up.

4. Terminal/Ramp positions are not correct - they're shifted north at least 20-25 meters.

5. The orthos extend all the way west to the suburbs, Sucking VRAM when youre not close tot he ground. I'd re-do it focusing only on the part in Botany Bay at higher res.

6. There's something seriously wrong with the Domestic terminal object.

My FPS drop to 10-15FPS everytime my view is towards it, and this was in XP9! (where I'm in the mid 30s even in complex areas). XP10 it's almost unusable.

Hence why I wanted to re-do YSSY.

- CK.

YMML is done as part of the AussiePak / VOZ , and it's done very nicely; (same with YBBN, YPPH, etc..) by BobRoberts. I can't believe youve never heard of this package, as it has 99% of all the australian airports in it done accurately, minus YSSY.

The Entire AussiePak scenery can be downloaded here: http://web.me.com/br...y_Packages.html

Edited by chris k

Yes the aussiepak/voz install can be confusing to some, but it's all in there- Baz has done a great job, massive effort. YMML can always be improved, again it does have performance issues, although not as extreme as YSSY! It should run better in 10, as it seems to eat .objs for dinner.

Looks great! One piece of constructive I have is that the domestic terminal is WAY to tall. About 2x too tall The airbridges should be coming out of 2nd floor, not the first. But that's just me being a picky little ass :) . All in all, a fantastic effort. I think a custom runway wouldn't go a miss either. PM me if your interested in that!

Chris Im dizzy and its your fault Just downloaded your Christchurch scenery From the Org .I spent about 20 minutes circleing over the Airport not believing what I was seeing . This is definatly one of the most realistic sceneries that I have scene . It should become the standard to which all future scenery is compared . I had tried the Beta so when I saw you had posted it at the org I had to download it .

Thanks Larry

Hey larry,

Cool.! Thanks man for the Kudos. Sorry to hear you're dizzy =)

This was a project in terms of: "I know XPlane 10 is completely capable of something like this"

I also wanted something to show that X-Plane is not ugly (When it's done "right" so to speak....) as compared to "other" sims.

BTW, Laminar Research.... I'm more than happy to quit my job and do stuff like this full-time, if the financials work out =) (cough cough.. Tom.. cough cough.. make sure Ben sees this! heh..)

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Looks great! One piece of constructive I have is that the domestic terminal is WAY to tall. About 2x too tall The airbridges should be coming out of 2nd floor, not the first. But that's just me being a picky little ass :) . All in all, a fantastic effort. I think a custom runway wouldn't go a miss either. PM me if your interested in that!

Hey Theo,

Yeah, I am limited by the Objects I already had at my disposal. The Terminal Building was an FSX conversion from a while back; so I'm kinda stuck with "working with what I have". I'm not an Object Modeller (never used, never tried, and don't necessarily want to learn.... instead leaving that to more capable people). however, if *someone* wants to submit to me a new NZCH Terminal, I'd be more than happy to accept it into the scenery! =)

(bit by bit I am thinking that the remaining FSX converted objects will be replced by native XP objects).

As for the runway - The runway is indeed there BTW - change the .POL file definitions from "taxiways +1" to "runways +1"; and you'll see that the orthos line up nicely; however I felt that they just didnt have good enough resolution to replace the XP generated ones. (looked too blocky for my tastes.. so I hid them underneath)

However, this wouldn't stop someone like yourself texturing a hi-res "Runway Object" (I can give you the original 4200x3600 PNG files which I dereived the scenery from @ 10 cm resolution); and then overlaying that object on top of the XP Runway. Feel free to disassemble my .DSF file and see if you can add in the runway object on top.

The other route is yet-another-series-of-ortho POL files, which are then themselves layered on top of the existing ortho and runway.

Unfortunately both approaches means we're painting the same patch of ground 4 times. (1ce for base texture, 1 for ortho, 1 for XP runway, then 1 for Object/Runway .POL). Altough, I'm already paiting it 3 times right now... 1 more shouldnt hurt too much =)

- CK.

Edited by chris k

• 4 weeks later...