Youtube | Interview with Austin Myers - June 2023

Personally, I was hoping the questions would have been more in-depth. One of the things I wish the interviewer would have asked is whether LR plans to add more Avionic suites - G3000, G5000, Honeywell Primus, Honeywell Apex, etc. Nevertheless, I'm always happy to hear or read interviews with Austin or any member of the Laminar Research team. An interview with Ben would be awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

One of the things I wish the interviewer would have asked is whether LR plans to add more Avionic suites - G3000, G5000, Honeywell Primus, Honeywell Apex, etc

I get it. I not big on Avionics. I am old school with the basic gauges with a GPS autopilot. 

I like when Austin explains how he flys from taking off to climbing to talking to ATC to power setting on climb and monitoring engine temps, then you reach your cruise attitude and set your power setting, you finally get look outside of the aircraft. But until then you are so busy in the cockpit you do not have time to look at all the eye candy that you may want to look at. This is SO true!

I really really loved that interview. The best part was his thoughts on what a flight simulator should look like and feel like. A flight simulator is about flying a airplane just like a real world airplane would fly.

Thank you @VirtualGAaviator

Edited by Rick310
  • Like 1

Hmmm....

So I'm just going to say how I felt when I watched this interview. I wasn't impressed. I don't think this was because of Austin. He's the owner/producer of XP. So that was completely normal.

But I thought the interviewer wasn't very good. It's one thing to be a fan of Austin/Laminar/XP. But when you have an opportunity to interview  him, I would have put more challenging questions to him. But then given that the interviewer is from the .Org site, I guess it was not going to go that way. I guess the ability to be a fan of a product and yet ask good questions is something that comes from maturity.

Thanks for posting it here though @VirtualGAaviator

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, scooke7 said:

But then given that the interviewer is from the .Org site

Sad but true, the .org site dominates the X-plane world. I wish @Cameron would being some that over to X-pilot.com. One area I would like to see is the scenery developers like MisterX over here at X-pilot.com and others I can not name. If I knew how the get in touch with MisterX, I would invite him over here, but I don't know how.

Already gave my rant about .org sh#$ hole.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, scooke7 said:

But I thought the interviewer wasn't very good. It's one thing to be a fan of Austin/Laminar/XP. But when you have an opportunity to interview  him, I would have put more challenging questions to him.

Agreed. The questions did not push him. Maybe the next interview, wherever that might be will. BTW: I am impressed with Austin, LR and X-Plane, as well as 3rd party devs who deliver high-end products.

7 minutes ago, Rick310 said:

Sad but true, the .org site dominates the X-plane world. I wish @Cameron would being some that over to X-pilot.com.

I remember when AOL and Yahoo dominated the internet. Sears dominated retail sales. I even remember when Lotus 123 and dBase dominated software sales. The point is, org's domination is not carved in stone.  As for Cameron and the X-Pilot.com site, I think he might be open to volunteer help as long as the volunteers is seriously willing to make a commitment and is competent. If all C did was maintain the site it might look different. Turns out C is heavily involved in development, as far as I can tell.

I began drafting a letter to LR asking for an interview. However, I decided I might be overstepping.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

I think he might be open to volunteer help as long as the volunteers is seriously willing to make a commitment and is competent

I not willing to do it. Too big of commitment for me. This would cut deeply into my flying time. I was hoping C would commit on my last post.