Ground handling question

taildraggin68

First off, beautiful airplane.  

So, I can load in with real weather and the airplane will weathervane into the wind even with brakes applied.  Seems wrong and I know Xplanes ground handling can be funky.  I also noticed absolutely no deflection time on the nose gear, which yes it castors, but there appears to be not enough friction which doesn't help the twitchy behavior.  I realize that Diamonds aren't known for the best cross wind ability, and the light weight with a rather large tail and rudder can really catch the wind.  I guess the biggest question though, is this something that can be fixed?  Something noticed already and a fix coming?  It is a study level aircraft but that ground handling is not so much.  Love the plane though, so hopefully there is a way to sort it.

I'm trying to replicate this behavior and I can't see this behavior with winds up till ~60 knots. I do see what you are describing if the brakes are not applied though, I would recommend checking the parking brake is selected. If it is still happening, a recording showing brake position, winds, and the behavior you describe would be helpful to further debug. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Coop said:

I'm trying to replicate this behavior and I can't see this behavior with winds up till ~60 knots. I do see what you are describing if the brakes are not applied though, I would recommend checking the parking brake is selected. If it is still happening, a recording showing brake position, winds, and the behavior you describe would be helpful to further debug. 

Ok, so the sim was loading in with the parking brakes off even though systems persistence is on.  I did not catch that. (also the selection to the analogue backup gauges does not persist) and I presumed the parking brake went off on brake press (nice touch that you can apply parking brake with toe brakes on.  I can tweak with settings to try and get something tolerable for braking, but there still seems to be a lack of friction on the gear.  (Getting closer on the toe braking settings and adjustments in PM of the nose gear deflection time to 3.0 and rolling friction to .035 tamed things down a bit)  So in other words maybe a slight adjustment to the friction and the persistence issue and my inattention :( bit me.

• Like 1