Video Pilot Log of Learning the Mu-2

joncoughlin

I'm flying the Mu-2 a bunch on short trips around Wisconsin for X-CPL jobs. 

I have started a YouTube playlist of my terrible landings: 

The inverted power/pitch relationship of high engine aircraft always screws me up, but this module is a ton of fun :)

All these flights start near MTOW and land after burning about 600 lbs fuel, so they're still landing pretty heavy.

I have a long way to go before I'm touching down in my target zone at sub-200fpm speeds. The awful stuttering I get near the ground doesn't help.

I don't sim jets, so this is by far the hottest airplane I try to land, and it feels fast and dopey in landing config. I'm enjoying the challenge. I'm also enjoying the cruise speed!!

Hell of a module :)

The MU2 does require quite some training. And flying an aircraft in a sim is more difficult than in real life. Here are two articles which I had found and are quite interesting:

Here is an interesting bit:

48306414_Screenshot2023-06-07at09_58_56.thumb.png.c7223869fbd1d126162a805c5e745292.png

This behaviour is well reproduced in X-Plane but a bit exaggerated and FM needs fine-tuning IMO. I also need more landings with it but I don't think a touchdown at 80 is feasible, you need to carry quite some torque until touchdown to avoid a too high sink rate and speed will not drop to 80 during flare. But the general idea works fine, initial approach speed of 120kt, Vref of ~105kt (more or less depending on you LW) then keep some torque until touchdown.

This plane is a little marvel :-)! Hopefully @tkyler is soon done with the 737 so he can get back to the MU2 asap :-D. Looking forward, with few fixes, fine-tuned perfs and FM, the next versions of X-Plane and a released weather API so the weather radar can be finished and why not, a Thranda-like configureable panel, oh boy that aircraft would be one of the best turboprop :-) for X-Plane!

7 hours ago, arctic85 said:

Thranda-like configureable panel

don't hold your breathe on this one!      A configurable panel is practical when you have differing "presentatations" of  a given configuration...however, each of the Moo variants have differing, underlying equipment options that must be set in the ACF file and are not quite suitable to reconfigure the panel dynamically in sim.  I simply can't see the ROI.  

-tk

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 3:26 AM, arctic85 said:

This plane is a little marvel :-)! Hopefully @tkyler is soon done with the 737 so he can get back to the MU2 asap :-D. Looking forward, with few fixes, fine-tuned perfs and FM, the next versions of X-Plane and a released weather API so the weather radar can be finished and why not, a Thranda-like configureable panel, oh boy that aircraft would be one of the best turboprop :-) for X-Plane!

It already is the best turboprop available for X-Plane.  It is amongst the best general aviation aircraft ever made for X-Plane.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:05 AM, Anthony Clark said:

It already is the best turboprop available for X-Plane.  It is amongst the best general aviation aircraft ever made for X-Plane.

I second that. It replaced my Twin Otter in the Hangar as my new Favorite. And for now, I enjoy it at the 25 Days Around the World Trip.

• Like 2