VSkyLabs C47 vs. Leading Edge Simulations DC-3

Kalnon

The DC-3 is one of my favorite vintage aircraft.  I own only the VSkyLabs C47/DC-3 and I've always wondered if the DC-3 by Leading Edge Simulations is better and if it's worth buying?  One thing I do like about what I've seen in the LES DC-3 is that in the screenshots it looks like they've used more original instruments and gauges instead of the military variant instruments used in the VSkyLabs plane.  I like that a lot.  I would love to hear anyone's feedback whether you've tried one or the other or both planes.

Edited by Kalnon

1 hour ago, airfighter said:

We are in the closing stages, before releasing DC3 v2 version. You can have a look here: https://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/forum/242-douglas-dc-3-v2/

or join our discord server for more: https://discord.gg/85apMfvm.

It looks awesome!  I can't wait for the release.  I am going to definitely buy it, thank you.  Personally, I really hope to see more vintage aircraft like the DC-3 for X-Plane.  It's one of the reasons I still use P3D and even FSX sometimes because I love vintage aircraft of all kinds.  Imagine a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser for X-Plane like A2A made for FSX :)

7 hours ago, Kalnon said:

Hey I have another question, is your Saab 340 going to be updated for X-Plane 12?  Please tell me it is, I love that plane so much I would be heartbroken if it wasn't going to be.  It's way too good of an aircraft to be left behind in the XP11 dustbin.

I'm not part of Saab's development, so I can't give you an answer. I don't know if @Goran_M or @JGregorycan chime in.

2 hours ago, airfighter said:

I'm not part of Saab's development, so I can't give you an answer. I don't know if @Goran_M or @JGregorycan chime in.

I really love the LES Saab 340, I fly it often.  It's a beautiful aircraft that's easy for me to tell how much time, care and effort went into making this model.   It's a full study level plane, all systems modeled, that has fantastic texture work inside and out, and the flight model is top notch.  It's on a whole new level of it's own compared to the Carenado Saab 340.  It's hands down the best Saab 340 ever made for a flight simulator.  I would truly be so very sad if it's not updated for XP12.  I would be willing to pay a reduced price for an upgrade.

Edited by Kalnon

• 8 months later...

I bought the LES Dc-3 yesterday. Not took it for a proper spin yet. I have aeroworks one (doesn't seem to work correctly graphically for me) and Vskylabs one. I have flown the Vskylabs one quite a bit and I really like it. 

My main gripe with LES even default Vskylabs without trying to be rude or anything like that, are the sounds. They have been improved vastly but compared to the sound package I downloaded for Vskylabs, they just don't do it for me.

I wish I could use that sound package for LES as well. 

Not saying the sounds are bad buut when it comes to immersion, along with everything else the sounds in my opinion are one of the main things and when it comes to radials, they're one of the best sounding engines and have a very distinctive sound which somehow the package I got off org captures very well.

They're both nice to fly and have very similar handling which is good, and yes a major pro with LES is the option of having modern or classic cockpits. I think also the LES has more in-depth systems simulation which is also a plus. 

If I could somehow use my preferred sounds in LES it would be my go to DC-3.. 

3 hours ago, airfighter said:

Which sound package are you referring to?

It doesn't matter.. I take that back actually lol .. Just doing a proper flight in this with headphones and I actually think they're really nice xD sorry lol. The sound package I was talking about is dated ("The Very DC3") but there are aspects to it I really like particular high power setting the throbbing sound of the props but nah I do really like the sounds in the LES one now having spent more time with it (and watching a few episodes of Ice pilots.) 

One thing I have noticed though is the FO's attitude indicator is a bit funky?.. Just doing a flight down to Dover and I'm loving it so far.

7 hours ago, Vanadeo said:

It doesn't matter.. I take that back actually lol .. Just doing a proper flight in this with headphones and I actually think they're really nice xD sorry lol. The sound package I was talking about is dated ("The Very DC3") but there are aspects to it I really like particular high power setting the throbbing sound of the props but nah I do really like the sounds in the LES one now having spent more time with it (and watching a few episodes of Ice pilots.) 

One thing I have noticed though is the FO's attitude indicator is a bit funky?.. Just doing a flight down to Dover and I'm loving it so far.

Cool! Yes, FO's attitude indicator is rolling the wrong direction. Fixed for the upcoming, 2.0.3 update.

• Like 1

I am starting to really like this plane.. I did switch the sounds out eventually but I much prefer LES Dc-3.. there's something about it that just seems right..  One question and you'll see it in this video, dead on fairly strong (Left to right) crosswind 8 gusting 16kts, I end up having to use a LOOT of left aileron to keep her steady, if not it blows over to the right violently not as bad landing but pretty much at takeoff power I'm almost full left aileron just to keep her level... I don't seem to get this with the other Dc-3 I been flying.. Strange but It could be accurate lol, I dunno, just wondering. Certainly one hell of a challenge.

Here's the video, watch the left or right makers after touchdown :O.