One computer two monitors on Mac

ebiros

I'm new to X Planes, and thinking of following setup to run the system.

1. Mac with dual monitor capability as processor platform

2. Two monitors - one for the exterior scenery (on a projector), and one for the instrument panel (22 inch LCD monitor)

3. CH Yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant

Is it possible to have dual displays, one with scenery, and other for the instrument panel running on a single computer ?

If this is not possible or recommended, I'm thinking of doing the following:

1. Use two Mac minis networked together. One to run the scenery, and one to run the instrument panel

2. Continue adding Mac minis to increase the number of monitors in the future

I'd appreciate any comments or thoughts.

you CAN do almost everything you listed. the Logitech products (sry CH website was down) are the Extreme 3D Pro joystick as I have had mine for over 3 years now. I highly suggest getting the G13 gameboard from Logitech as well as it helps with common functions like gears and breaks. I suggest the Saitek rudder pedals, (the combat or normal, normal has toe breaks) and Saitek for the quadrant as well.

As for the computer side of things, If you have a powerful enough graphics card and processor it is fully possible to have 2 screens but I do not know about having scenery on one and the panel on the other. If you want to hook up more mac minis go for it (im a mac guy, any windows guy would recommend some windows computer) but I do not know how you would do that. I do admit that a 22" screen is kind of small for a panel, you should try a 25" or 27" (the new thunderbolt powered one is supposed to run cooler or something)

Thanks Ultimate Flier for your response.

There's nowhere in the X Pilot manual or Wiki that mentions about dual monitor setup that allows for scenery on one monitor, and instruments on another. People have done it with FS on single computer with two graphics card running three monitors (one for exterior projector and two 19 inch monitors for the instrument panels), so I know it's possible on FS. Computing power wise, Mac with multiple core processors (like 4 or 8 core processors) would have enough computing power, but I was wondering if X Pilot have something that wouldn't allow dual displays to work in this manner. If it's not mentioned in the manual, it's usually because you can't, but I was hoping someone would know the answer in this forum.

I'm trying to simplify the setup as much as I can. I see impressive home simulators with up to seven computers running concurrently, but that means somewhere to store seven keyboards, and mouse. It's much better if you can get away with one keyboard and a mouse.

I'm reading lot about people having problems with Saitek input devices. Mostly about difficulty in tweaking the parameters. So I was bit hesitant to go with Saitek yokes, and pedals. CH seems to have less negative comments in this area, and they seems to work well with Mac. I like the plug and play feature of the Mac. I've used firewire, midi and other devices with Mac and they were all simple as a breeze to use. This and MS's "kill switch" issue turned me towards X Pilot and Mac.

I'm starting to reconsider using projectors for the scenery because of the space it requires. I'm leaning towards using three 32 or 40 inch displays at a corner of the room to display panoramic viewing field. This would save space, and wouldn't take up the whole room to project the exterior view.

I agree with 22 inch monitors being too small. I'll consider a larger display or using two monitors for pilot's display and the center console.

Any further recommendations are welcome.

One method is to use separate avionics. There is a variety of software for doing this ranging from $0 to $thousands. Most runs on windows however.

I created a thread with links to cockpit builder resources that may be useful.

http://www.fly-euroh...pic,6794.0.html

If the machines are just for flight simming then I would recommend using pcs rather than macs, if you intend to dual use them then ofc whatever your preference (or wont matter as much if xpuipc gets a mac server component).

My current setup uses one pc with one monitor to display front visuals and an i7 laptop to run the project magenta mcp, efis, cdu, audio callouts and glass on 2 monitors. Later I will either add a third computer to run pm systems or run it off the laptop machine.

Later possibilities are to run another 2 pcs with left and right visuals. and then more for upper and lower eicas and fo glass.

tvs for display are fine for outside visuals but lack the clarity/sharpness/resolution of monitors so are less well suited to menus ui etc. but don't hve light washout issues and space requirements like projectors although you can get short throw projectors to help with this.

Edited by Kesomir

uh, I dont even recommend projectors as teh space requirements and wash-out issues You also need a perfectly flat and white surface or it will not display properly. I was thinking like maybe 2 Apple 27" thunderbolts should do or, if you want touch functionality, 2 or 3 apple iPads will do as long as you have that one EFIS app or whatever... Retina displays for the up-close stuff... and besides you can use iPads for alot more too...

Maybe a custom machine will do... A high-end processor and 2 good graphics cards mounted to a motherboard and inside a case... Check out Orange Computers or Puget Systems-Puget if you want to REALLY customize and water-cool... (just search on google) if id recommend a TV for use it would be one of Vizio's

here is a 42" but its expensive: in the thousands

http://www.vizio.com...s/xvt423sv.html

heres a tad bit cheaper 3D one for about $900...

http://www.vizio.com...xvt3d424sv.html

Edited by UltimateFlier