Looking for a Bell Huey or other nice payware Heli

After seeing all this talk about how hard the 206 is for you to fly, I'm curious as to what controls you're using and how your control senstivities were set. This helicopter was designed so that a saitek X52 or similar joystick will have very similar sensitvity to the real thing when the sliders are set to full left (linear). While these settings may be too sensitive for say, the 500D, non-linear settings will make the 206 feel extremely lazy. Nils on the other hand recommends full non-linear settings for his BK117. Good luck flying the Bell with it set that way! I've gotten to where I fly all helicopters with all sliders set to linear with my X52 and rudder pedals. I have the other sliders set at full realism. I can hover the 206 right over the portable helipad. I'm not braging, just saying that in my oppinion, with the right sensitivity settings and controls that don't have noisy pots, the 206 is very enjoyable and rewarding to fly.

Yes Frequent Flyer, I agree with you, control hardware set up is very important

I have a nice Thrustmaster Warthog ( High Quality metal joystick with very high resolution ) with Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I plan to get the stick extension mod : http://www.warthogworld.com/hangar/content.php?9-Warthog-Stick-Extension

I fly the BK with control sliders as below. If you run it with full linear, it is very very twitchy. No lag whatsoever (unlike the 206). It's very direct. Far too direct. Haven't seen a BK pilot break a sweat trying to control it. In fact, if you google enough, you'll find most actually find the BK enjoyable to fly, and are sad to see it be replaced with something not-so-enjoyable.

mysettings.jpg

For control I use one of these, which gives much more control and finesse than a joystick does - you try holding a slight yaw with a twist grip for two hours! For those who don't recognise it, it's the same type of controller used for flying rc helicopters, just for pc's.

EK2-0905A.jpg

I'm not knocking the BK117....it's one of my favorites. I was just pointing out that the bell works best with linear control, unlike most others. For yourself, Nicola_M, it's a mute point, because you got rid of your bell. For anyone else, trust me, the bell flies alot better with linear control. Conex tells you in his manual to set it up that way.

James Hetfield, that is very interesting. That looks like an affordable way to have a good cyclic control. I'll have to take a look at the Warthog.

Edited by frequent flyer

I'll give all these settings a try, thanks! I don't see any point in taking jibes at either heli, we are very lucky to have both. I just bought the Dreamfoil, it is very good, I love the flexing structures (hmm, I gotta improve my landings).

Compared to the Dodosim for fsx it is definitely much more skittish, but I'll check my controls setup. The torque on takeoff is very strong, a belly full of left yaw required. 

I did a comparison video of the 2, one of my first landings and hover attempts was pretty acceptable I thought!

MM affordable .. not too much.

The Warthog ( jostick + throttle ) I paid it 360 € ( about 500 $ ) plus the saitel pedals ( 240 $ ) then the joystick extension than I haven't got yet ( he sell them 75 $ )

Quite expensive but the Warthog is so high quality, made of metal, with many switches, hat, push buttons etc .. Two throttle levers etc .. Infinite possibilites to assign controls.

For examples, I use two 2 pos switch ( ON/OFF ) one for battery switch, the other for generator,

an other 2 pos switch for Avionic, a push switch for starter ( need to hold pressure to maintain starter, nice for Bell 206 start ) a 3 pos Switch for autopilot control, a hat for heading change, an other hat for attitude change, an other hat for view position changing, an other hat for ground speed acceleration, a push button for Rotorbrake, a 2 pos switch for Landing Light, a pushing hat for beacon light etc ...

So much possibilities with the TARGET software ( programmation software, you can do all with it, not like the limited Saitek SST )

And it use a resolution of 65536 X 65536 different values, so a very high resolution control, just for comparison, the X52

got 512 X 512 values ..

The only bad point I found him was the strenght, it was built for the A-10 Warthog, and a strong spring is loaded to maintain a hard feeling on the stick, so, a longer shaft will " fix " that, for helicopter, reducing the inertia moments and increasing precision in all travel.

I'm impatient to get that extension ! But the guy doesn'y built them for the moment, I'll have to wait a little bit.

post-4525-0-02311100-1315811662_thumb.jp

Edited by James Hetfield