KTS MACH Change Over

TOBS

Hi all !

According to the manual, IAS/Mach switch over occurs at 31,600 feet... I'll have to check this during my next flight. But it's often the moment where I'm close to my cruise level and where the autopilot changes to ALT HOLD mode.

I just know it's displayed on the PFD above the speed tape.

Happy flying ! ;)

Hi all !

According to the manual, IAS/Mach switch over occurs at 31,600 feet... I'll have to check this during my next flight. But it's often the moment where I'm close to my cruise level and where the autopilot changes to ALT HOLD mode.

I just know it's displayed on the PFD above the speed tape.

Happy flying ! ;)

Yes above the tape there is always mach displayed displayed - can see it rising during climb. And pressing the Speed Button is for changeover kts/mach according to the manual and the name of the custom dataref. I cannot see a change even not if I monitor mach kts change in the dataref editor. maybe only by me, maybe I missed something.

Cheers Tom

TOBS... right now I cannot test the plane, but if I don't remember bad, it should change from knots to Mach automatically. Maybe I am wrong.. because between all the planes I am making I have a salad in my mind, so I cannot remember quite well. You know that is something it was right from beginning so it was easily forgotten because it was right.

When I can, I will test it.

Please can somebody else test it. Please try to push the speed button and see if it change between kts/mach as it should and observe if it change automatically from kts to mach and back during climb and descent. Maybe it is only on my system - but I do not believe it.

Cheers Tom

CRJ vers. 1.1 for win / win7 / 64bit

Edited by TOBS

TOBS... right now I cannot test the plane, but if I don't remember bad, it should change from knots to Mach automatically. Maybe I am wrong.. because between all the planes I am making I have a salad in my mind, so I cannot remember quite well. You know that is something it was right from beginning so it was easily forgotten because it was right.

When I can, I will test it.

Yes Javier thanks a lot for this very usefull answer.

Tom

The speed knob syncs actual speed to the setting for the AP (just as the HDG knob does), so that when you push in Speed Hold mode you don't jump up or down. The display showing the speeds in mach or knots changes indeed automatically. I did not make a test now, but that's what I remember from my last flight. How/why should that not be intentional?

Edited by woweezowee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Javier,

did you read the last post? Please tell us if this changeover from KTS to Mach works or if it is a bug. (Here it is not working) Same for the button - its dataref is called "changeover" so I think it should change from KTS to Mach and back - it is not a speed sync. I do not know how it works in the real world - maybe you know.

Cheers Tom

Hi.. This is what FCOM says: "Mach Readout (white) Indicates Mach speed. Displayed when Mach is above 0.45 and is removed when Mach is below 0.40"

Have just tested right now. Flying.. when the speed is below 0.45M it didn't appear anything. Just when the speed is above that one then appears in white over the speed tape.

When the speed is decreacing it disappears when it is below 0.40M as the real one.

On the Screens MdMax has.. I clearly see in 2 of them M.467 and M.757 so it is perfect.

It doesn't show a number in knots never above the speed tape. Only show the Mach number when above 0.45 and dissappear when below 0.40 as the real one.

Sorry I didn't put in the manual.. because the picture was taken from a stopped plane.. so the Mach number didn't appear.. so I forgot to include it and explain how it works. Now you know.

Above the speed tape, only will appear the mach number in white when above 0.45 Mach. and dissappear when below 0.40 Mach.

won't appear never any knot number. Only in the speed tape indication.

The Speed mode in the autopilot only shows knots mode. The pressing of the knobs only syncronizes with the speed the plane already has. Not changes between mach and knots.

hope it helped you guys.

From the Bombardier documentation on the plane:

Yes.. but as also you can read in the documentation:

"Synchronization. Flight director synchronization is selected by pushing AP/FD Sync switch on the inboard side of each control wheel when in the following modes: Speed......"

So you can press the inlet knob to synchronize the speed the plane has. Because that was a mixture between maniputators, we decided (Anton when was programming it) that we could aboid the showing Mach-ias selection.... Because that showing is not over the speed tape.. but the speed bug in the PFD. I mean the bug to choose the speed you want the plane to maintain (pitching up or down). So because it it easyer to see the ias number instead of the mach number over the speed tape, we decided to not do that function, that is a little one.

Now I pretend to make improvements in the CRJ.. if it is possible inside the FMS. But if we have time and effort maybe Philipp could include that change in readout between IAS and MACH. That I must remember It is the readout of the Speed BUG for autopilot. Not the number above the speed tape, that still shows and disappears above 0.45 Mach and 0.40 Mach automatically.

Edited by Japo32

AP/FD Sync and synchronizing the speed bug selection are two different things. Pressing the button on the inboard control wheel syncs the AP and FD to the current attitude of the plane and then sets the bugs as required to maintain it. Think of it as a CWS switch (Control Wheel Steering). That allows the pilot to quickly set the autopilot to maintain the current flight conditions. That has nothing to do with the IAS/MACH selection switch actuated by pressing the SPD knob.

• 4 weeks later...

AP/FD Sync and synchronizing the speed bug selection are two different things. Pressing the button on the inboard control wheel syncs the AP and FD to the current attitude of the plane and then sets the bugs as required to maintain it. Think of it as a CWS switch (Control Wheel Steering). That allows the pilot to quickly set the autopilot to maintain the current flight conditions. That has nothing to do with the IAS/MACH selection switch actuated by pressing the SPD knob.

Does this mean pressing the speed selection knob should toggle the seleted speed from IAS to MACH. If yes - this seems still not to work in the CRJ200 version 1.2.

Cheers Tom

We choosed to do it the way it is as said in the fcom. The way it is right now it is perfect for me, and perfectly flyable.

Come on, Javier. Isn't one of the goals of the Take Command series to attempt to recreate the real plane as faithfully as possible? When someone provides you the documentation to support a change, why not make the change? You're interpreting "the way as it as said in the fcom" incorrectly, and I have CRJ-200 jumpseat AND simulator experience to back that statement up.

A LOT of CRJ flying happens at altitudes below FL310 and is still performed using Mach numbers for performance. Are you seriously going to turn around and tell your customers that there is simply no way of changing the speed reference to Mach manually? If so, that's borderline ridiculous.

Edited by Dhruv

Dhruv,

certainly we can sort this out.

I have an FCOM dated Jan31/03.

It says that automatic transition of the reference in Autopilot Speed Mode changes from IAS to MACH at FL 316 (I don't know why they choose this number). Could you please indicate volume, chapter and page (roughly, since we might have different revisions) where I can find info when manual changeover can be triggered?

And, please no insulting here. We are working hard to improve your sim experience, with currently the third FREE update in the working, and don't want to be called "borderline ridiculous".

Thanks,

Philipp

Here you go. Same manual as you:

post-4-0-78772900-1318547198_thumb.png

Sorry about my word choice on the previous post. Believe me I appreciate the herculean task you guys have accomplished by getting the simulation this accurate in the first place. It'd be nice to get those last few inconsistencies sorted out!

Edited by Dhruv

Dhruv, Thanks a lot for worring about our costummers and the way to do the things.. but you know every "house" has its problems.. and always is easy look the bulls in the other part of the fence.

You, as a creator know very well how difficult is to release a plane, and I have more important things to make than making this stuff... of the manual selection between Speed and Mach.

I suppose people would like to see first the vnav advisories, a better holding page in the fms, fuel prediction... than this selection knob. Of course we will do it if we have time.. but as you know Philipp is the only programmer inside.. and I believe there are more imporant things to do than this Mach-Knots selection... and I would like Philipp to concentrate (if he wants.. because he is free to make whatever he likes) in the FMS upgrade.

I repeat again.. Perfection is the first step to failure. Sorry but I wouldn't spend a second in that function if there are other things more important to make.. because the way like it is right now is ok for me. Of course there will be people that don't think like me... but my task is to evaluate and focus in the important things. I cannot make all happy and I don't pretend. But yes make happy a great number of people.

Alex you and me have different visions of what should be a plane in x-plane. I believe (maybe I am wrong) you look the reality simulated 100% first. I look the fun first... and for example.. I would like to implement a maintenance system like the PMDG one.. than making the 100% real. We are 2 people and would say that almost 1, because Phillipp is the one that know programming.

I know you tell this for good.. but even good intentions can be bad decisions.

thanks for your worring.. but I have a clear vision what this CRJ200 needs to be better. Of course if we have time and force.. we will implement those functions missed. Included the Match-Knots.. and knowing a little Philipp.. I believe we will do it in no time.. but I still believe is a mistake trying to satisphy everyone.

Of course if you want to help, your help is welcome.. Even you (or anyone) can programm systems or things for the CRJ200 and sell them by his own (or distribute his work for free). Still the CRJ200 would be needed, so more sellings, because those "mods" would do it a better plane. You know.. I think "mods" are the best people can do for promote a product.

Thanks!

Edited by Japo32

I appreciate the insight into your prioritization of tasks. You certainly seem to have a clear goal in mind, which is great!

You should be able to just tie the spd knob to a default X-Plane dataref to swap between Mach number and knots. I believe the one you're looking for would be:

sim/cockpit2/autopilot/airspeed_is_mach

and have the manipulator toggle the boolean value.

Edited by Dhruv

You should be able to just tie the spd knob to a default X-Plane dataref to swap between Mach number and knots. I believe the one you're looking for would be:

sim/cockpit2/autopilot/airspeed_is_mach

and have the manipulator toggle the boolean value.

You do realize the potential to make such a change is not as simple as you're currently used to, right Dhruv? Surely you do!

Bear in mind every screen is drawn through CRJ code and NOT X-Plane Planemaker displays, so insinuating something is simple when it may very well not be is probably not the best way to suggest something to people. ;)

You and I go way back as friends, so I'm comfortable telling you this. :)

Knowing Philipp he'll implement this and get it done quickly. There's never been a time where I haven't seem him so dedicated to a project, which is even more why your harsh words in a previous post can be easily perceived as insulting. Of course, we'll be waiting and looking for the same standards upheld for your product when the day comes! :P