[Request 2782 logged] Keyboard capture usability improvements

Rodeo

I usually map the CDU popup toggles in all my aircraft to a keyboard key, so I bring them up and toggle them back off using the same key.

Most addons will not enable keyboard capture unless either the mouse cursor is over the popup windows (ToLiSS, maybe SSG?) or you enable it by clicking somewhere rather specific (default FMS: scratchpad; X-crafts has specific click spot and an assignable key to toggle it on/off, FlightFactor and Aerobask have a specific clickspot to toggle it on/off as well, IIRC).

Hot Start's keyboard capture is slightly more intrusive, because clicking on any CDU button on the popup enables capture, and in order to disable it you have to specifically click outside of the popup windows.

While not a huge deal, it could be improved a bit. Here are a few ideas you can use as inspiration:

• hacky but perhaps quick to implement: pass through any keys that aren't used by the CDU keyboard capture so that the sim and other keyboard handlers can process them
    (for example: F-keys, Escape, Return, Enter, Tab, as well as possibly some of PgUp, PgDn, Home, End and non-ASCII characters are probably not relevant/useful to the CDU)
  • provide alternative methods to trigger keyboard capture, such as clicking on the display itself (rather than any button) or even the scratchpad area like Laminar's default FMS
  • provide an option to limit and/or disable keyboard capture altogether in User Settings (possibly combined with the above)

Regards,

Tim

Edited by oisin650

• 1 month later...
  • ois650 changed the title to [Request 2782 logged] Keyboard capture usability improvements