Centralized repository for X-Plane - build-in content manager.

crs

Hi,

I've been having this idea circling around my head for a while now.

I would love to see some sort of a centralized repository containing scenery for X-Plane with build in (in XP) client to retrieve content and install it to local X-Plane installation as selected.

Developers would upload their work to repository and users could choose to install it if they have interest in given location.

There would have to be some sort of a review system. Sceneries must be verified for compatibility and obvious problems as well as to ensure work is matching set quality level.

For all installed (managed) sceneries build-in client would update it (on request or automatically - depending on settings) once developer has uploaded newer version and it has been approved.

There would be a simple browser implemented to manage installed and available sceneries. From coding perspective I cannot see it being over complicated to implement. More hassle would be needed in maintaining content (ensuring compatibility and quality) but can easily see volunteers doing it. Also simple 5-star rating system would be a help. Another problem would be to maintain infrastructure.

The same system could be implemented on plugins side - showing only plugins available for given platform/version combination.

I understand that .org contains a lot of free addons like sceneries and plugins but it become unmanageable to keep ones installation up to date and actively visit site every now and then to get new content.

Build in content manager system would be a huge improvement in keeping sim's installation in good shape, making it easy to maintain and keeping all addons up to date.

The reason I have posted it here is because I do not really want to contact developers directly and know that some of them are present here and might pick up this idea. I do absolutely understand all your effort being put towards v10 at the moment.

What do you think? Would you like to see a Content Manager option in your XP menu?

Kind regards,

Kamil

Hi there,

Yes, I am fully aware of existence of XAddonManager. Have been using it for long time now.

What it cannot do though is retrieve content and how we know stuff for X-Plane can be found all over the place (inet). Integrate it in X-Plane itself, add central repository which manger would be able to download and install stuff from. From this point only this central repository would have to be updated in order to keep simmers installation's neat and up to date.

Do not really care for full in-sim integration. It can be separate application but would really love it to be Laminar supported application to avoid different versions, different repositories, not fully tested, broken and problem causing 3rd party's applications.

From my perspective I would be capable of writing such an application pretty quickly and easily but this will be just another addon and not sure if could make it anyhow popular. If Laminar does it and provide repository, authors will surely add stuff there. Even .org could serve such a purpose if organised in proper way.

Kind regards,