Cloud Bases/Tops Altitude

FlyTheNeedles

I seem to be having issues with clouds generating at the elevations they need to be.

Programmed:

Bases - 1,500' MSL

Tops - 3,500' MSL

Actual:

(Few/Scattered/Broken) Cumulus Bases - 2,400' MSL

(Few/Scattered/Broken) Cumulus Tops - Obviously variable, but I've got them as high as 9,500' MSL

Overcast Cumulus Bases - This one's strange.. I descend through 1,500' in IMC, break out at about 1,100', the cloud layer disappears and the clouds bases are ~500' above me as if they're where they should be.

Overcast Cumulus Tops - This one's also strange.. if I fly at 4,000' and look down at the plane from above, I'm above the tops. But in the cockpit it's complete IMC.

Any ideas??

Log.txt

In part you're seeing our simulation of "scud" - we don't represent the clouds as being totally flat on the bottom, but allow a range of variation there. I think that's what's driving the discrepancy in overcast bases.

Cumulus sounds like it's a bit off though. Are you using the new volumetric setting for cumulus clouds, or some other setting? Knowing that will help me reproduce it.

You may also find that using Real Weather Connector in association with real-world weather will result in more accurate weather depictions in general.

OK I think I see what was causing this; I'm betting you were using the volumetric cumulus option and not using real weather connector. In this case there was some old code to adjust the base altitudes of non-volumetric cumulus clouds that was affecting the volumetric ones, and it shouldn't have been.

I've fixed this for a future release (version 5.0.6 has already been delivered, so it will be in the one after that.)

Thanks for the report.

1 hour ago, sundog said:

OK I think I see what was causing this; I'm betting you were using the volumetric cumulus option and not using real weather connector. In this case there was some old code to adjust the base altitudes of non-volumetric cumulus clouds that was affecting the volumetric ones, and it shouldn't have been.

I've fixed this for a future release (version 5.0.6 has already been delivered, so it will be in the one after that.)

Thanks for the report.

version 5.0.6 has therefore already been released for download ... ??

8 hours ago, sundog said:

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for looking into this & glad you found the issue! Correct, I wasn't using RWC, rather just manually entering sky conditions & testing them out. I've actually yet to try it yet with RWC.