VNAV Descent

canadaclipper

H0ello Captains. I purchased the wonderful IXEG 737-300 last weekend. Since then I have done 4 flights with it. My problem is that on each occasion the VNAV path seem to be approx 2,000 ft above the altitude constraint in the FMC. I have a lot of time with the PMDG 737-800  as well as the Zibo 737-800. I believe that I have everything set up properly for descent but I"m wondering if there is something that I may be missing with the 300. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi canadaclipper,

the VNAV descent functionality is one of the areas where our logic is very "basic" - the vnav path works well if there are no restrictions on the descent, but currently restrictions can still throw our calculation off. We are planning a total rewrite of the VNAV logic.

For now it is required to keep a close eye on your descent calculation. It is ok to use VNAV, but if the calculation seems suspect or acts up, revert to FL CHG mode or even V/S.

I have made a video that shows how to calculate descents manually (it is one of the core competencies of real pilots - VNAV descents are not playing a huge role in real airline flying because often the path to be flown is not known beforehand).

When I used to fly the 737 Classic (for 10 years) I was the only one who ever used VNAV on descents (out of curiosity). I have never seen a Captain use it (in my 6 years as a copilot) nor have I seen a FO use it (in my 4 years as a Captain).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSemWBgRNnE

Cheers, Jan