Waypoints Lat/Long

Hi there,

I do many of my flights in Northern Canada. Most of the airlines use Lat/Long waypoints.

I have confirmed that in the G:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\X-Aviation\IXEG 737 Classic\fmc_data\NavData\wpnavfix.txt there are entries for 

58W14                   58W14-58.000000-114.000000 (This is the one I am trying to use) and 

5814N                   5814N 58.000000 -14.000000 which is not.

I enter 58W14 into the legs or route page on the FMC and I get "NOT IN DATABASE" while 5814N works fine.

Can anyone explain why, using up to date Navigraph data, I cannot use a fix listed in the wpnavfix.txt file in my route?

58W14 is shown as "negative 58º"...which means southern hemisphere.   The plane couldn't reach that waypoint from anywhere in Canada without refueling.  Great circle distance from +49 latitude (southern border of Canada...ish) to -58 latitude is nearly 4200 NM.

The FMC caches waypoints within range of the aircrafts starting location...so we don't end up loading a gazillion waypoints that you can't fly to nonstop anyhow.  The range is a circle about 3000 miles from the aircraft location.   5814N is "positive 58º" and in the northern hemisphere, therefore, "in range" if you're in northern Canada and therefore in the database and loads.  58W14 isn't in range and so isn't loaded.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

• 2 weeks later...