Quick Advice

PoshinDevon

OK so purchased X Plane about 3 months ago and finally got around to loading it onto my Mac this week. (Been very busy!!) As I explored around my first impressions were pretty good. I am very new to flight sims and have a great deal to learn but will start off slowly. I realise there is plenty of information and help available but I seem to have trouble finding it!  So can anyone answer/point me in the right direction. A few questions:

1.  Where can I find information to start my flight sim training and is there training demos available. Want to start my pilot training from scratch and build myself to a flying the bigger stuff.

2.  How do I make the airport detail more realistic - do I need to download specific scenery for each airport? Things look a litlte basic at the moment.

3.  A little way off yet but how do I customise and aircraft to the livery I would like?

4.  Where can I obtain more aircraft types?

As I say, very new to flight sims. Have had a few basic shoot them up flight sims but now want to really learn how to fly properly and whilst things look very complicated at the moment I am hoping that the help received will start me on my way. If I have bought the best flight sim I think I had better make the most of it!

Cheers

OK so purchased X Plane about 3 months ago and finally got around to loading it onto my Mac this week. (Been very busy!!) As I explored around my first impressions were pretty good. I am very new to flight sims and have a great deal to learn but will start off slowly. I realise there is plenty of information and help available but I seem to have trouble finding it!  So can anyone answer/point me in the right direction. A few questions:

1.  Where can I find information to start my flight sim training and is there training demos available. Want to start my pilot training from scratch and build myself to a flying the bigger stuff.

2.  How do I make the airport detail more realistic - do I need to download specific scenery for each airport? Things look a litlte basic at the moment.

3.  A little way off yet but how do I customise and aircraft to the livery I would like?

4.  Where can I obtain more aircraft types?

As I say, very new to flight sims. Have had a few basic shoot them up flight sims but now want to really learn how to fly properly and whilst things look very complicated at the moment I am hoping that the help received will start me on my way. If I have bought the best flight sim I think I had better make the most of it!

Cheers

1.  Depends on what kind of sim training you're looking for.  If you hover the mouse over the top edge of the screen, a menu will appear.  You can choose your aircraft from here, set display options, display flight data, etc...  The default aircraft are very generic so don't expect high quality systems from them.  Start off with the Cessna 172.  IMO, very good panel layout, excellent VC  and more than enough to get you going.

2.  When you hover your mouse over the top edge of the screen, find Options and click on Render settings.  You will find all your picture quality stuff in there.  Set Airport Detail to Max.  Alternatively, there are many airports to choose from over at the x-plane.org download manager.  

3.  Choosing a livery depends on if the author has added them.  If he has, you can select the livery in the in sim menu under Aircraft/Choose livery.  If you want to make one, you need a paint kit for the aircraft.

4.  Freeware - x-plane.org.  Thousands of Freeware add on aircraft over there.  I haven't been there in a while but if you want a good GA trainer, Morten's Piper Archer is one of the best freeware add ons you can get.  

Payware - Of course, http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21 is the place to go for add on aircraft.  

If you want scenery, http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24  

X-Plane.org also has a store with add ons as well.  I cannot comment on those as I don't have any of them.

Happy simming.

• 2 months later...

This guy asked, and never came back. *sigh*

Anyway just wanted to say "stick in there"

It's really hard coming in from scratch, and takes a while, but it's part of the fun, not to mention building your own sim with planes and scenery you love.

Glad to have you on board if you ever decide to come back and thank us :)