316 SpaceShipOne 1.0

3 Screenshots

About This File

316 SpaceShipOne

For X-Plane 9 and 10

The Story:

In the middle of the Mojave desert, Burt Rutan and his team at scaled composites wheeled out the model 316 SpaceShipOne from its hangar to begin a day that would go down in history.

Later that day, September the 29th 2004, WhiteKnight climbed to 53,000 FT with SpaceShipOne under its belly. Inside SpaceShipOne was pilot Mike Melvill, and on the ground below was mission control working to get the space craft up to its target altitude. Time came for the drop, so WhiteKnight released SS1. And after 10 seconds of silence SpaceShipOne fired its rocket to begin its voyage into space. It climbed to 102.9 km (above 300,000 ft) from the earth's surface, and Became the first privately funded spacecraft ever to cross the Karmen line.

Days later pilot Brian Binnie flew SpaceShipOne up to 112 Km from the earth's surface, breaking Mike Melvill's record and sealing the future of space travel.

The great sir Richard Branson is now creating the new Virgin Galactic space-line, using Burt Rutans experience to create a new pair of vehicles that shall be called 'WhiteKnightTwo (VSS Eve)' & 'SpaceShipTwo (VSS Enterprise)'.* Sir Richard Branson has now set up a new spaceport in New Mexico where you can take off and travel safely for a cheap fee of $ 200,000 USD.

*WhiteKnight2 and SpaceShipTwo are for download on the org, made by Voidhwak9.

about:

This is part 2 of my X-Prize duo for X-Plane 9 and 10. SpaceShipOne, for any aviation enthusiast, is probably more notable than any other space craft venture in the history of flight; and it is my pleasure to be able to bring a life size, and detailed model to the wonderful X-Plane community!

The previous versions of this aircraft (created by other members) were always too small, only big enough to fit one person, so this is an improvement. It now fits WhiteKnight and many other drop mother ships, more realistically. Just my luck too, as I have managed to release this historic bird with the version 2 release of WhiteKnight!

Things in this aircraft package include:

• Stunning detailed features such as landing gear and flame

• Fully customized cockpit

• sounds - off the real solid rocket test audio (plus a more realistic wind sound)

• User manual, cockpit manual, poster, and an easy 5 step manual for setting up the historic space flight...

• ...and a whole lot more!

This aircraft can be a bit twitchy in high speeds, this is caused by your frame rate not the flight model.

Resources:

For a detailed step by step look at the flight in 2004: http://joeschwartz.net/extras/SpaceShipOne/index.htm

Scaled Composites: http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/

With thanks:

Everybody below deserves my highest compliments.

Alge2: Note that he has given me permission to re-create his SS1 model, but unfortunately his model had a bug so I couldn't proceed with improving his aircraft. I will mention him for his kindness in giving me the basis to make my own flight model, and his achievements in X-Plane space flight should be acknowledged.

Ultimate Flier: For doing model testing and commenting on performance in X-Plane 9 and 10, thanks UF!

Enjoy flying the highly acclaimed space flight phenomenon, and if you like it, rate it!

-Hampster

• Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.