Red Arrows flight ban lifted - too soon?

Nicola_M

A Red Arrows Hawk T1 display jet crashed last Saturday, killing its pilot. As a result all of the Hawk T1 fleet in the RAF were grounded. At the time it was made clear that investigations into the cause could "take weeks."

As of Tuesday, the media were saying "it's a birdstrike" despite no investigation having even been started, let alone concluded.

And now today, Thursday, it's been reported that "following preliminary investigations into the cause of the tragedy" the Hawk T1 fleet have been cleared to fly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-14666350

Am I the only one who thinks this is more than a little precocious? Preliminary investigation? If the cause were so clear – and due to a birdstrike - then there would have been no need to ground the entire fleet in the first place.

I would have thought, no expected, more than a preliminary investigation to be carried out before such a decision is made.

Edited by Nicola_M

• 4 weeks later...

It's plenty okay that it's posted, Leen.

You are absolutely free to move to the next topic that garners your interest with X-Plane related content in it.

As this topic pertains to flying and the people who play X-Plane enjoy flying or aviation, I can certainly see the link you choose not to see.

Let's try and not be so rude. I've seen something similar from you in the past with regards to an Air France tribute from Oliver.

Thanks Cameron, I value the RL chat here.

That is a sad story, all that experience and training, put to risk by a goose or whatever.

I'm sure they'd have clear evidence of the birdstrike, I'm guessing it was a big bird leaving a big mess in the fans.

I can still remember seeing the Red Arrows over our backyard as a 5yo in Southampton, they made that big an impression on me.

I've been a victim of Austins flocks of birds a few times myself, crashing as a result. You can't turn them off in RL though.

Thanks Cameron, and Simon, for the support.

Leen, I gather many xplaners are RL pilots too, so what happens in RL affects them too. Weeks after the event the UK newspapers and public are still shocked at the loss of one of our Red Arrows, especially that it's the first (and hopefully last) fatal incident in my generation who've grown up watching them. It just seemed they were cleared for flight before a proper investigation was completed. PR does come before safety here.

It's been a terrible year for public flying events, and the least we can do for those souls who died while entertaining others is to remember them, whichever country they're from.

So, sorry if this thread offended.

n