Custom overhead panel assign buttons

RC36

I have a custom made overhead panel,I would like to add the buttons from the IXEG 737 to work with my overhead but I don’t even  see anything that has to do with the overhead in the XP menu ‘Joystick Buttons setup’.

I have my overhead all setup to work with the Zibo 737 and I would like to do the same with the IXEG 737.
I already spend the last 2 days trying to find a way around this but to no avail.

Is this even possible?

thanks

Ricky

As far as I know the IXEG does not expose all the buttons and switches as commands by default, so that is why you won't find them when mapping your keyboard or joystick buttons. One solution would be to create a FlyWithLua script to create all the required commands for the overhead panel switches and buttons and then you'll be able to map them to a keyboard or joystick. But... this is not a trivial task unless you know FlyWithLua scripting and how to create custom commands.

So yes, it is possible but not so straightforward.

• Upvote 1

FYI,   we will create a more comprehensive set of custom commands for controls that can be mapped to "joystick settings".  I will assess whether or not we can squeeze a bunch of them into the next patch.  Creating them is relatively quick.  If not the next patch, then perhaps shortly thereafter in a dedicated "commands additions" patch.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, tkyler said:

I am going to start coding up commands for the overhead controls, we should be able to get these into the next patch.  If not, then shortly thereafter. 

-tkyler

Hello Tom,

If you mind the question, why not have ALL and EVERY IXEG command as a custom command under "IXEG" in the keyboard selection?

At the moment it is a mixture of native X-Plane commands and custom IXEG commands. For example the TOGA button is the native X-Plane command. That way you would make your commands "independent" from X-Plane in case they change them with an update or something weird like that.

Just an honest question, not a programmer and I'm sure you have good reasons for the way it is.

It is a holdover from the days before X-Plane had hardware configurations and users would have to re-assign commands every time they swapped airplanes, which was a huge headache.   The solution was for us to "hijack" those common commands users normally assigned to buttons and customize them.

With hardware configurations now, this isn't an issue and indeed you are correct, that moving everything over to custom is the logical solution.  I have begun a new source code file strictly for the purposes of creating these unified command names, but it will probably take a while.  I estimate well over 750 commands to represent all control possibilities, if not more.  My strategy is to chip on new ones each day, which I will be doing in a few hours :)

-tkyler