Rudder trim pegged to the left

Gregg Seipp

I just bought the TBM yesterday (confirmed I have 1.1.7 running on X-Plane 11.30).  Took my first flight today.  Prior to departure, I added a bit of right rudder trim to counter p-factor.  Uneventful departure and climbout, everything kept well within limits.  Engaged autopilot around 3000' and made my way up.  Up at cruise on autopilot, I noticed that the rudder trim was pegged to the left.  I looked at the rudder on the tail and, yes, the tab is to the right (deflecting the rudder to the left).  I tried the yoke control but that didn't move it.  I then mapped keys and buttons to move the rudder trim...no joy.  AP/Trims is on (tried cycling it off and on again).  Autopilot is disengaged.  All fuses are in.  I can see the yoke button move when I click the buttons on my physical yoke as well as pressing the keys.  I couldn't check the maintenance window because...well, I'm in flight.  The departure was pretty simple...a slight left turn, engage nav, climb, level off, climb, another slight left turn, climb and level off.  

I gave up on the flight and reloaded back at my initial airport.  I'm brand new to the airplane and I was all over the place when I was diagnosing it so it seemed like the smart thing to do.  I checked the maintenance window when i was back on the ground and everything is green.  

Gregg

EDIT: No mention of "rudder" or "trim" in the TBM900.log

EDITEDIT:  Well, I'm not sure what happened the first time.  I decided to try the flight again and, this time, no rudder trim problem.  No anything problem.  The airplane performed flawlessly.  It was great.

Edited by Gregg Seipp

10 hours ago, cpuwolf said:

I am not quite sure what it should be in real TBM9.

On my second flight (where there wasn't any problem), the rudder trim stayed slightly left of center the whole cruise.  No airplane (that I've heard of) would require full deflection of the rudder in straight and level flight.  So, if it's happening to other folks then I would think it would be either something with the "Failure System" or a bug.  I couldn't find any evidence that it was a failure.

• 4 months later...

Hi Goran -

I recently experienced same pegged rudder problem after a flight using latest v1.1.19 and XP11.35 after a long trip in the TBM at FL300.  Aileron and elevator trim worked normally, but after landing I found the rudder trim pegged full left.  Holding full right rudder trim on yoke for extended period doesn't move it off the mark.  Checked rudder trim breaker - it is in.  No failures indicated.  As you know TBM only has manual trim in pitch, the other two axes are electrically driven only.  Tried shutting down, quitting and restarting XP, resuming same flight, but G1000 still displayed rudder trim at full left, and it was unresponsive to yoke switch  Tried shutting down a second time, quitting and restarting XP, creating new flight, same result.  Only fix was to delete C:\X-Plane 11\Output\TBM900 and recreate the livery. 

Any other fix you can suggest short of that ?  Hope you'll keep this issue on your list.  Meanwhile all the other fixes in 1.1.19 are really nice !

ChuckO

No, it needs to definitely be off, otherwise you will have a hard time landing...unless you want to try leaving it on for testing purposes.  Usually, the rudder trim goes extreme left or right because it's fighting something you are doing.  I saw it happen to a streamer once, who landed with Yaw Damper on.  Please make sure all checklist items are followed on the MFD, and if it happens again, post back.

Edited by Goran_M