Rotating clouds, lens flare and raindrops

S3rg1o

I've notice something strange, maybe a bug, I don't know, but when we "look" outside up at the sky and rotate view to the left or right, clouds rotate in the same fashion... I can post a vídeo later to better explain what I mean.

Regarding lens flare, when the sun is behind the clouds we can still notice lens flare effect through the clouds, maybe this coube fixed in a future update?

About raindrop effect in the aircraft's windshield, do you plan to introduce it in SMP ? That would be really cool!

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Edited by S3rg1o

The rotation you see is a fundamental side effect of the rendering technique we use. You can minimize it by setting the "fast" option in SMP's configuration, and not using the "HD Puffs" option. Users with VR rigs in particular should change those settings.

It is possible to do occlusion tests with the lens flare, but it has a significant performance impact, which is why we don't do it.

X-Plane's architecture is such that raindrop effects on windshields is something that needs to be implemented by individual aircraft designers. There's no way I know of for one plugin to apply this effect to every plane automatically.

They're good ideas though! We've noodled on all of them already.

My advice is to set the cumulus type to "fast", and overcast to anything but "HD Puffs" if your goal is to minimize rotation as the camera turns.

"God rays" will only occur under specific conditions, if there is a layer of cumulus clouds that are reasonably dense between the camera and the sun, and you have the slider up to see them.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, BlackBeltMike said:

Hello, 

This is an old thread but is it still relevant to VR users today?  I have see the same thing as the OP (clouds rotate/move with head movement/when looking to the side).  And the advice for setting cumulus to 'fast'.  Is that still the recommendation?

Thanks!

We've rolled out changes to make the effect less noticeable, but it is still something you can notice in VR when you are close to a cloud and turning your head. Ultimately a new rendering technique will be needed to eliminate the effect entirely.

• Like 1