737 LOWI approach

Vanadeo

Question, The answer seems obvious but you never know.. Innsbruck. Would the circle to land proceedure happen at night?, lets say if there was a wind stronger than 10 knotts coming from the east, Slightly off this topic lol but it will be one of many approaches done in this bird once I aquire it, so it is partially relevant to the thread + I know the devs and people on here are real world pilots.. Just something I have always wondered.

I know it's a visual approach so my guess is that it would be out of the question to do it and I can only speculate that if the conditions were not right for an approach on to runway 26, the flight would be diverted..

Looking at the charts for LOWI, there are 3 approaches to 08 that approach from the west, two of which are RNAV and are straight in (with different minima), the RNAV RNP Z 08 being particularly promising with a DH of 1000'.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to do the CTL at night (though I don't know enough of the regs to exclude it), but the RNAV approaches give good options for a straight in, conditions and equipment permitting.

I have never flown to Innsbruck - sadly - but usually visual approaches or "circling with prescribed tracks" are also allowed at night - unless the AIP says otherwise. Then you´d find something on the chart like "daylight only".

You need to have the airport in sight and be familiar with the terrain. And you also need to display some common sense and good airmanship if you want to live long enough to reap in your pension one day, so a visual approach on a moonless night in a tight-quarters valley is something that I wouldn´t do (outside X-Plane ;-) ). The landings lights only shine ahead far enough that you will be able to see if you crash into trees or barren rock...

Jan

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Flying Penguin said:

Looking at the charts for LOWI, there are 3 approaches to 08 that approach from the west, two of which are RNAV and are straight in (with different minima), the RNAV RNP Z 08 being particularly promising with a DH of 1000'.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to do the CTL at night (though I don't know enough of the regs to exclude it), but the RNAV approaches give good options for a straight in, conditions and equipment permitting.

Ahh I think I recall seeing the other approaches actually, I'd forgotten about that.. I'll take another look at them :).

36 minutes ago, Litjan said:

I have never flown to Innsbruck - sadly - but usually visual approaches or "circling with prescribed tracks" are also allowed at night - unless the AIP says otherwise. Then you´d find something on the chart like "daylight only".

You need to have the airport in sight and be familiar with the terrain. And you also need to display some common sense and good airmanship if you want to live long enough to reap in your pension one day, so a visual approach on a moonless night in a tight-quarters valley is something that I wouldn´t do (outside X-Plane ;-) ). The landings lights only shine ahead far enough that you will be able to see if you crash into trees or barren rock...

Jan

LoL great explanation.. I only ever attempted this once in FS9 however I was able to see the terrain wich I dont think was too realistic. In X-plane, never.. Night is night in that sim xD. I remember one night I departed from LOWI and didn't plan properly for it.. I took off from runway 26 so as you can immagine the outcome was not good lol.. You are quite right about the Landing lights xD.

Cheers for the replies guys!.