Missing Bathymetric Data (Or something - not a water rant)

Colin S

No, this isn't a "why does X-Plane's water look the way it does" post. I'm not quite that immature (close, though). Here's my issue: I've been successfully making UHD mesh for the Hawaiian Islands (See: Niihau). I use a lovely little LUA script that makes water in certain areas follow the colouration rules set by a script file. For the area around Hawaii, I have the nice dark default ocean colour change to a lighter blue around the islands as it does in real life. No idea what resources X-Plane uses to determine where the "shallow" water starts. I heard at some point that X-Plane 10 has bathymetric data despite not using for anything... or maybe it does. Anyways, with my new custom mesh, the ocean only follows the colour rules for deep ocean, with no gradient towards the UHD mesh area land that I have made and NOT inserted redundant bathymetric data into. 

If anyone can give me a quite run down of how water colour LUA scripts work (I know the latest RTH has water controls, their shallows don't work around Colin's UHD areas either), it would be hugely appreciated and I might be able to make the Hawaiian Islands looks just that little bit better. If you want pictures of the water, I might be able to provide once I'm home.

As for the topic category, I didn't think this counted as scenery, maybe help, but I felt that general discussion would be playing it safe. Anyways, I need help and I know this community is awesome with that sort of thing! As a side note, Niihau has been updated to fix a bunch of ugliness including reduction of file size.