Forced landing

tobbe490

Hallo,

I am flying Boing 777 professional (I am a beginner and trying to learn). I have programmed the FMC from A to B. Then when I am in the air I must land elsewhere (it´s too foggy or I must do a forced landing).

1. How do I change the arrival airport in the FMC?

2. To make a forced landing perhaps I must descend quickly, then I get an overspeed warning. What is the dangers with that? Or shall I just ignore the warning and proceed?

1. You have the option for a second route in your FMC. So you go on your Route page and click on RTE 2. Then you can enter to whatever airport you want to fly :) There's also the option that you click on the ALTN page. There you see your nearest alternate airport, how much time it will take to fly there and how much fuel you will have left at the alternate airport. You choose one of the airports and click on it, then click EXEC and you should fly directly to this airport. You can set up the arrival route on your DEP/ARR page. This option is more convenient for your case ;) 

2.NEVER OVERSPEED!!! :D If you overspeed the aircraft can have structural damages and might break apart. Use the speed brake to slow the aircraft down and adjust your rate of descend if you overspeed :) 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I followed your advise above and suceeded in landing on an alternative airport. The problem is  that I did not remember exactly how I did it. After choosing an alternative airport and clicked on it there was a choice to click on "DIVERT NOW" on my FMC. I chose the same airport which I had departed from. And my plane then seemed to go somwhere else. Only after I selected a different airstrip it did go well.  :)

Hallo,

I will send you some screenshots tomorrow. The plane did go north for quite a while (the airport was located to the south) and then I selected another airstrip.

By the way, if I return soon after departure can I land with that heavý plane? Must I not dump the fuel or something?

It depends what kind of emergency you are having. If it's nothing critical you can dump fuel, but if it's smoke in the cabin, or anything else that has to do with fire in the plane you should land right away without any delay!! 

• 4 months later...

"Click on the ALTN page. There you see your nearest alternate airport, how much time it will take to fly there and how much fuel you will have left at the alternate airport. You choose one of the airports and click on it, then click EXEC and you should fly directly to this airport. You can set up the arrival route on your DEP/ARR page. This option is more convenient for your case  ;) "

Yes, I have clicked on the ALTN page and choosed another airport and execute. But I cannot set up the arrival route (STAR) then. I know how to do it in the FMC from the beginning). How do I do it on ALNT page?