WED crashes on reading orthophotos in GEOTIFF format

NilsV

Hi all,

I'm stuck at the moment in my airfield development since I do not get the orthophotos working in WED.

I bought some Orthophotos in GEOTIFF format (at least I've been told so) from my local public authorities. Every tile has a .tif file and a .tfw file and they are in UTM coords. If I load them with WEDs pick overlay image WED crashes.

Is there any hint how to check the georeference of the tiles and how to convert it to Lat Lon?

thanks

Nils

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk HD

If they are in UTM coords format, I'm afraid that are useless in WED. Also you need them to be in dimensions of the power of 2, like 1024, 2048, 4096, no need though to be rectangular.

What I suggest you is to import them in an application like Globalmapper (very easy to create the tiff you need, but payware) or QGIS (free, but creating tiff from that is not trivial), and get new tiff with the right coordination system for X-Plane, which is Decimal Degrees and WGS84 geodetic system.

Nils,

I have had good luck in the last few weeks using Lizard Tech GeoViewer. Get your airport from the National Map site  as a JP2

and GeoViewer will export it to a file as a Geotiff.  Few mouse clicks and its done and ready as your overlay.

Chuck

Edited by w9nwrwi