XP Scenery Generator [WIP]

tonywob

Nice , but why  some of the buildings got weird textures ? 

Yeah, because someone in OSM chose those exact colours for the building. There are also some really funny bright red buildings in Berlin :D which look like lego bricks.

At the moment, I'm not sure what to do about it, except limit the range of colours, or change the colours to more pastel colours. I'm open for ideas ;)

I'd not change colours programmatically, in this way it's simpler to check which objects have strange colours and, possibly, correct them.

If you change colours during the conversion the overall result is obiously better, but this only hide the problem instead of solve it at the root.

At the moment, I'm not sure what to do about it, except limit the range of colours, or change the colours to more pastel colours. I'm open for ideas ;)

IMO , at this point , a fac/obj-set  with basic (or most common)  wall/roof colors to choose from should be enough.

This makes new columns  for roof / wall color in the csv necessary.

Something which I would recommend anyway

For automatic constructed object , a common palette for different wall- and roof-types could be a solution . (And then choosing the best match)

This gives the possibility to fine-tune the palette  without rebuild the whole world.

@mroe

Agreed, the program currently generates unique models for these objects along with the colours, so I think perhaps a shared texture for some of the colours would work, e.g. Red Brick, Brown Roof, etc.. I've tried various approaches in the past, and the current one I'm using seems to work best. I'm experimenting at the moment with some colour options to see what works.

Regarding the CSV file, that's a good idea, and I can add it into the best-fit rule to prefer buildings which have matching roofs.

I also think we should separate the colours out into a configurable file, so people can change them. This way, the colours aren't hard-coded and people can change them to their liking (and also easily add new colours).

Is there a way to know which Countries have the most number of contributions?
We know (how?) that Germany and France are very detailed, but what about Countries outside Europe?

Just go of the filesize (compared to real size) I guess. e.g. Look at the difference between the file sizes for Spain vs Germany. Generally, you can get a good guess of how detailed a country is by simply opening up the map on openstreetmap.org and seeing how much white there is. The more white, the worse it will look :)

Just a quick tip for anyone converting scenery, have a look at osmfilter

Using this filter command decreases the OSM filesize by half. I've just tried it on the UK using this command which strips out all the stuff we don't use.

osmfilter england-latest.o5m --drop-tags="highway=turning_circle highway=crossing highway=give_way highway=mini_roundabout highway=junction traffic_sign=* railway=* operator=* ref=* adr_les=* barrier=* bridge=* tunnel=* access=* bicycle=* foot=* horse=* surface=* designation=* highway=primary highway=secondary highway=tertiary highway=motorway highway=service highway=footway highway=road highway=track addr:city= source= source_ref= created_by= addr:housenumber= addr:postcode= addr:post_code= addr:street= phone= amenity=school name= building:street= building:postcode= building:post_code= building:city= building:country= building:county= building:house_number= building:house_name=" --keep="highway=residential building=* amenity=place_of_worship man_made=lighthouse man_made=water_tower man_made=crane man_made=windmill landmark=windmill man_made=tower man_made=mast man_made=chimney landmark=chimney generator:source=wind natural=wood natural=scrub landuse=forest landuse=allotments natural=forest leisure=garden leisure=park landuse=cemetery" --drop="highway=primary highway=secondary highway=tertiary highway=motorway highway=service highway=footway highway=road highway=track amenity=school landuse=commercial landuse=residential amenity=parking landuse=retail landuse=farmland landuse=industrial natural=coast waterway=* natural=water waterway=*" --out-o5m > england.o5m

It basically removes all tags from the OSM file which we don't use, and speeds up processing a lot. You then convert it back from o5m to pbf using osmconvert. It shrinks Germany down do 1.2GB, and it processes twice as quick :-)

I'll play around with it a bit more and add instructions on the website

Edit: I'll get the program to generate this command automatically using the rules file
Edited by tonywob