Commercial Pilot's License

Oliver

Well Gents... I've made a choice that will hopefully enable me to once again put me on the right path to follow another career I've dreamed of...

I've been so busy lately with being a dual major freshman at the University of Central Florida that I hadn't flown in over a year.. I stopped with 180 hours when I was 16 right before getting my PPL which I always regretted. Being unhappy at the University and always focused on my own online businesses instead of going to class, I decided that I still needed a form of "paper education" in case my own businesses did not work out (so far so good :P ).

Well after being once again hooked on flying from using X-Plane over the past few months, and being taken up once again with a few friends in a Da40 two weeks ago, I took the plunge and decided to re-enroll myself in flight training to pursue my dream of getting my commercial pilot's license. I'm finishing up my freshman year at the University and will be doing my full commercial training over the course of next summer. If all goes as planned I will have my commercial pilot's license before I turn 19 next August. I was also introduced to one of the guys here in Sarasota that owns a Jet Brokering firm that could potentially look at hiring me once I have my licenses completed... which has me very excited as it's been a dream of mine to start a jet brokering/charter company. I'll be continuing work at an online local college despite my dislike of school in order to get a degree nonetheless.

I guess my main goal of this post is to say, always follow your dreams, and even if you pause on them for a while, if it's meant to be it'll happen and you can always return to your passion. I'm glad I had a first year at university because it pushed me even more to focus on my own businesses and to work for myself because I began to realize that spending 80k to not be guaranteed a job. 

Follow your dreams, people!

Happy Flying,

Olivier C. 

Edited by Oliver
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad of reading you Olivier, I'm in the same philosophy as yours and I personally things it's A good one !

If I fail the Army I'll ai the civil, but I really know that no one even consider you without a CPL/IR and 200-300 hours ... This is why I'll start glider towing next season on Rallye and probably para dropping from the mighty Porter.

Starting with such nice fun jobs will rise hours quickly and freely ...

But I think there isn't a single recipe for success, except being extremely motivated and not afraid of going toward operators, not sending CVs and waiting for answer ...

Good luck to ya dude

Well said Hueyman and Oliver. Following your dreams is one of the most important lessons of life to learn. You might get a great job out of college but if you hate that job it really won't matter how much money you make. Happiness in the long run is something money can't buy.

Follow your dreams and know, like said above, the road may not always be what you expected but have that end goal in sight. Always!

I'm 31 now but have been around aviation all of my life. After a short break from college I returned and graduated at 25, went from job to job after graduation. After some years and a lot of unhappiness I decided to pursue aviation since I always came back to it. Now I am a CFI, just passed the practical test in October, and have five students with more on the way. I'm not making the same money I made elsewhere but I am so much happier than I was before.

Keep your head up and keep working towards you goals.

Thanks guys. My major in college is business... they essentially teach you what you can do yourself already. I believe college is necessary for medicinal practice and for a few other professions, but frankly for business, I believe the best tool is to go out there, learn, fail, make mistakes, and try again. I also believe making connections is even more important that you learn throughout business. As the cliche saying goes, "It's not about what you know, it's about who you know".

Sometimes it takes unhappiness or other life events for you to realize your true happiness and meaning. What really pushed me to follow my passion yet again was my split with my gf. It made me realize how much happier I could be if I changed a few things about my life, including regaining my lost passion of flying. I'll be keeping you guys updated with everything that happens. Luckily my written private is still valid until August so I'll have to mostly study up for my check ride. 

Best of luck to you both in your endeavors.