Khamsin B-17G Flying Fortress for x-plane 10

Vinny003

Hi, Hobelflieger!

Can a B-17 fly 4,000 nautical miles if I conserve fuel? Thanks! Very interesting video! Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

yes --- no, possible with nice weather and good winds and a B 17 used in the Pacific War (with Tokyo-Tanks).

3500 miles ok, 3700 miles ok? and 4000 not impossible.

Best greets

Dirk

Hi, Hobelflieger!

Question for you, since my B-17G's fuel tanks holds only 13,500 pounds or 2,250 gallons of fuel, I got nice weather (no real weather from the Internet) what is the best altitude, the best engine settings for flights of over 3,000 nautical miles, and where can I get the Tokyo tanks for the Khamsin's B-17G for extra fuel? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hallo Vincent,

the Wright 1820 Cyclone engine, which was built in the B 17 is the same which was built in the Douglas C 47, the military version of the DC 3. Only the horsepower of the engines were different.

A good altitude for the B 17 is between 8000 an 10000 ft. Then your crew don't need oxygen masks - ;) .

Where you can get Tokyo tanks for the B 17, I cannot say.

You can try to make the tanks a little bit larger in plane-maker. But I wouldn't do it. The B 17 of Khamsin is a great plane, it's the european version and that is ok.

Best greetings

Dirk

Edited by Hobelflieger

Hi, Hobelflieger!

Thanks for the tip! I read somewhere the B-17 has gone up to the altitude of 35,000 feet or about 6.6 miles. As far as plane-maker goes I would not try to change anything for the B-17 because it'll render the B-17 useless and will certainly void the Khamsin support. I would go to aircraft tab, click on fuel and weight, click on ordnance, click on the button on the buttom half of the screen says ready(click-clear, there are 8 of them) to remove the bombs to reduce weight and thus increase range drmatically.

Cheers,

Vincent

@Vincent

Hallo Vincent,

sorry, no time today, I'll try it in the next days and give you information. I worked in the enclosure of my two leopard tortoise today, and it was a lot of work.

Here you can find some information of leopard tortoise, really "small" reptiles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_tortoise .

@Toby Rice

Hallo Toby,

that's not right. By me, Version 10, the tank information shows 29,2 hours. Thats false too.

Here you can find correct informations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-17_Flying_Fortress

Best greetings

Dirk

Edited by Hobelflieger

• 4 months later...

No, it is automatic mixture control, so you just have to put it in auto lean position ( I dunno how this is modelled in this one, but the real one has three " latched " position : idle cut off, auto lean and auto rich for take off and climb ( and descent ... )

Actually, they didn't really radio-navigate the way we did with NDB etc..

The navigator, just behind the bombardier station, used Sextans and such tools to locate according to the stars ( that was the purpose of the bubble dome canopy, just in front of pilots windshield )

The navigation was kinda classical, with visual reference on the ground based on reconnaissance shots some reco planes has taken before the mission. They had precise waypoints to follow, and people who had to be aware of the nav followed a special briefing prior departure ( pilot, copilot, navigator and the bombardier )