Yesterday's Hong Kong Aviation Club Cessna 172P crash at Sek Kong

howardthepilot1999

Hey guys,

A some might know that I am a member of Hong Kong Aviation Club. Yesterday, a Cessna 172P on a leisure flight crashed on approach. Before touchdown, it was hypothesized to be affected by a gust of wind causing the right wing to lift up.The registration of the aircraft is B-HRH, the exact aircraft that I booked a VFR navigation flight with my instructor for later that day. It was a close call as the landing accident occurred at 10.02am. The Hong Kong CIvil Aviation Department launched a full fledged investigation and preliminary report to be released next month. 2 of the 4 occupants received minor cuts and bruises.

No offence meant to those involved, but this "accident" concurs with what I've heard about aviation in China, from an instructor who currently teaches in Canada, but has been involved in teaching in China, Thailand, and other Asian countries.

There is a lack of skill when it comes to hand flying, too much emphasis is placed on gluing your eyes to the instruments, and flying everything like you are in solid IFR.  

A gust of wind lifting a wing, in other words, a pilot that cannot compensate for either a crosswind, or a bit of light shear.  Its a shame these incidents occur, but they are totally preventable...

• Upvote 1

For your information, we are better than you think.

Last year on a leisure flight on a Cessna 152. I was in control with my instructor who is Australian and after takeoff, we had an engine failure and total avionics failure. I managed to land the Cessna on a field. Bare in mind, I am not looking forward for IFR at all and I do not like using instruments.

No offence meant to those involved, but this "accident" concurs with what I've heard about aviation in China, from an instructor who currently teaches in Canada, but has been involved in teaching in China, Thailand, and other Asian countries.

There is a lack of skill when it comes to hand flying, too much emphasis is placed on gluing your eyes to the instruments, and flying everything like you are in solid IFR.  

A gust of wind lifting a wing, in other words, a pilot that cannot compensate for either a crosswind, or a bit of light shear.  Its a shame these incidents occur, but they are totally preventable...

What you've heard is not all true. I am from China (I regard Hong Kong as China). Some of my instructors are Chinese, one Malaysian Chinese. You know what they always say? "Howard, LOOK OUTSIDE!". Because of this, I can fly with redundant instruments. My instructors sometimes block out the VSI and tells me to fly level. Sometimes blocks out the altitude indicator and tell me to fly level. I manage to fly level without any deviation of more than 300 feet. Don't generalise that quickly, sometimes you just have to ask people who has first hand experience.

So you are uncomfortable when a Chinese pilot goes over the PA? Wow...

No offence intended, but I detest Canadian and American pilots because of excessive slang use over the radios. "Hey ground Delta 929 we're on bravo short of victor..." I've heard this in YouTube from a LiveATC recording. I really hate it when pilots use slang over the radio! It should be this instead:

Ground this is Delta 929 bravo short of victor....