Dreamliner Problems Again

SwissCyul

Yesterday a 787 from JAL had to return to Boston because of a defect fuel pump. The flight was actually going to Tokyo but the pilot made the decision to return to Boston after an Alarm sounded that one fuel pump is not working anymore.

I don't think that Boeing will like that. The recent problems with the fire of the Ethiopian 787 and the technical problems of the Thomson 787 only add to my opinion that Boeing has to rethink over the whole AIrcraft. 

Also another thing that the fire from the Ethiopian 787 spread over the fuselage. This is not supposed to happen when a fire is in a plane. 

So lets hope we don't get the message of grounding the fleet again. 

Just imagine what it would have been like had the internet and hundreds of worldwide 24/7 news outlets existed when the 747 was initially released.

Every new aircraft, particularly one as radically different in design and construction as the 787, is going to have its teething problems.

Just imagine what it would have been like had the internet and hundreds of worldwide 24/7 news outlets existed when the 747 was initially released.

Every new aircraft, particularly one as radically different in design and construction as the 787, is going to have its teething problems.

But the 787 has had a lot of problems. And you have to look at the amount of 787 that are in service. If you are flying right now with a 787 the chances are very high to have a technical problem. The 787 has been grounded before to fix major problems with the battery. Now there are again problems with the APU battery and the fuel pumps. And the fuselage is not fire resistant in the back where the APU sits. 

A few problems are normal. But not every week a new technical issue with a 787 that has to return because they can't get the situation under control. 

Clearly, you missed my point.

I am not here to start a fight with you. And i know that the 747 had problems. The a380 had problems and now the 787 has. But I can't remember that the 747 had so many problems in that short amount of time. 

Trust me, this topic isn't worth a fight...  :)

The point I was trying to make is these days we see and hear about every little wart and pimple about everything because countless news outlets and bloggers need something to fill time and space.  And the more sensational, the better.

It would be fair to say the media is hypersensitized to issues with the 787.  Because of the well-publicized lithium battery problem, it has become a favorite target.  Now, a fuel pump alarm goes off and all of a sudden there's another "major issue" with the Dreamliner.  In 35 years of airline business travel and even in my own aircraft, I can't tell you how many times a flight was delayed or an early landing was necessary due to some issue deemed by the PIC to be worthy of some investigation.  None of them made the news headlines, much less with the hysteria seen today.  There is a reason why there are redundant systems on an aircraft.  S--t is going to happen.

In other words, we need to step back and look at the bigger picture and keep matters in proper perspective.  Boeing does not need to rethink the whole aircraft.  [using your words]

Trust me, this topic isn't worth a fight...  :)

The point I was trying to make is these days we see and hear about every little wart and pimple about everything because countless news outlets and bloggers need something to fill time and space.  And the more sensational, the better.

It would be fair to say the media is hypersensitized to issues with the 787.  Because of the well-publicized lithium battery problem, it has become a favorite target.  Now, a fuel pump alarm goes off and all of a sudden there's another "major issue" with the Dreamliner.  In 35 years of airline business travel and even in my own aircraft, I can't tell you how many times a flight was delayed or an early landing was necessary due to some issue deemed by the PIC to be worthy of some investigation.  None of them made the news headlines, much less with the hysteria seen today.  There is a reason why there are redundant systems on an aircraft.  S--t is going to happen.

In other words, we need to step back and look at the bigger picture and keep matters in proper perspective.  Boeing does not need to rethink the whole aircraft.  [using your words]

Yeah probably everybody is sensitive about this topic. And i just found out the cause of the incident at London Heathrow. 

The Lithium Batteries in the ELT started to burn. The cause for the fire is still not known but again some batteries are involved... 

Whatever i hope you have a great weekend  :)

Im not going to start an argument here but, The fact that boeing came out with a new aircraft is quite extraordinary. All new aircraft experience difficulties, the 787 and the A380, im sure the 748 and the a350 will have problems as well. Though the thought continues that boeings fleet of 787s have struck numerous problems since its introduction. In all retrospect the 787 has probably had more issues than the A380. Even though boeing has come up with new fuel efficient aircraft, they should at least rethink what they do. Maybe take a look at how the 757, 767, 747 have been made and integrate some of the systems in the 787. Each long haul aircraft have different systems in them. in my opinion the 787 looks like a combination of a 767 and a 777.which in turn the systems in both aircraft are probably similar in some form. 

So with conclusion, and this is just my opinion like everyone else. Boeing should reconsider the 787 and hold production of all 787 aircraft and those in service. they should go back to the plans and relook over them. sometimes theres that small margin of error that creates a big difference. take a look at some of there other aircraft and use them as examples for further improving the 787. I just think that boeing was very much eager to put the 787 in service and just didnt do that many necessary tests on it before putting it in service.

Im sorry if i offended anyone or if my point goes against what has happened.

Another thing is that Ethiopian can now throw the involved 787 away. With a destroyed fuselage in the back the plane is to damaged to repair. 

But i am still asking me why the ELT started to burn. The firefighters had to use tons of water and foam to get the fire under control. If the fire started in the air the 787 would have probably crashed. 

And the 787 is not the only plane that has those units...